1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by forgop, May 3, 2006.

1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

I have 2 trees in my front yard that were hit pretty hard with disease last year, but it appears that they made it. This year, one of the trees has only about 1/3 of the tree blooming with leaves whereas the other tree is around 2/3 full. Is there any particular application I can put on them so it will help restore the rest of their leaves?
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The branches that aren't budding out or don't have leaves on them now..will never have them again.Cut back the dead because the tree will still attempt to feed it's dead branches.What kind of disease was it..sure it wasen't bugs?Lots of tree fertilizers on the market..but NONE will restore leaves on dead branches.
  3. broske

broske LawnSite Member

What kind of trees are they?
  4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh, what he said. You don't seriously think we can speak intelligently to that question, do you?
  5. sheshovel

Which one..I am confused now!;) ;) ;)
  6. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

Sorry for such a vague question. Here are pics:

tree 1.JPG

tree 2.JPG

7. sheshovel

I am sorry the answer is NO there is nothing you can do to restore the leaves on them.
  8. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

Obviously, one of the two is still in pretty good shape. Is there such a thing as trimming off the dead branches or am I just better off pulling out the whole thing entirely? Is there something I could have done to have prevented whatever caused this? I know here in Indiana last year there was a major issue with disease of some sort on trees, so I'm just curious what I can do in the future next time (if there is anyways). My neighbor had two in about the same condition as my bad one and he just cut his down about a month ago.

9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

That looks like more than disease. The suckering and dieback looks to be more from poor planting practices or root destruction.
  10. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

I had done some digging around the base of the tree and noticed whoever planted it hadn't taken the twine off around the base so the twine literally was cut into the base somewhat. These people planted these trees in the root ball and didn't even take the twine off. Shouldn't that be standard practice so it doesn't "suffocate" the tree?