1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree removal and stump removal.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by The Rookie, Jan 30, 2007.

1. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I recently had a 100 year old tree cut down and the stump grinded out. This left a big hole in my lawn, not to mention a lot of sawdust. I removed most of the mulch and sawdust from the area by hand. I was wondering what I could do now to help the area grow grass, cool season turf type fescue or bluegrass, in the damaged area? What are the necessary actions to take to insure that I have pretty green grass by spring. How much will the ground settle, ect. All comments appreciated.
  2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would make sure you got all the wood chips out of the hole like you said you did, but double check, you dont want termites...then fill it with good topsoil, mound it up a little so when it settles it will be flat...then come spring seed the area with 3 times the normal rate that you over seed with...make sure the seed gets raked into the soil, and keep it moist for 14 days and you should be good to go.
  3. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for your advice. I am looking forward to making this tree a memory.