1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree Removal Cost

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by stang2244, Jul 2, 2008.

1. stang2244

stang2244 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering what you guys think I should charge. A customer wants me to pull out two ~10 ft trees that are a year old and dead. They are about 2.5" around and should be easy to handle. I saw a couple laborers pulling one out with shovels a few yards down(new neighborhood, landscaping company laborers). Should I just charge hourly or do you guys have a ballpark of what you would charge total/per tree. They just want it backfilled and then a patch of sod put back over it, by the way.

Thanks in advance
  2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Tell us why you don't just cut 'em off slightly below grade, paint the remaining trunk with undiluted Glyphosate, cover with soil and seed? MUCH less work.
  3. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

Not hard at all Andy and shouldn't take more than a couple of hours for both trees with hole prep and resodding included. I'd charge by the job. Depending on the length the trees have been dead, probably be able to retain most the soil from the ball, knocking them from the roots.

May be more work in the long run, but why use chemical if you don't have to, IMHO.
  4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

do it this way and you got future issues as the stump slowly decomposes
  5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Just charge 120.00. Plus material [sod.]
  6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I don't agree - a 2.5" caliper tree is (at max) a 30" rootball so tightly packed because of the B&B process that subsidence from decomposition will be less than that of heavy foot traffic from digging and removing it. If it's only been in the ground for a year it hasn't had the opportunity to make the sort of large, woody roots that can become subsidence issues in more mature trees.
  7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

2 tens cut down then popped out, id say $150 a tree + $80 dump fee...then another $100 or so for filling in ect. = $480...sounds right to me-
  8. stang2244

stang2244 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up taking them out Monday. They came out pretty easily. Took me about 1.5 hours to pull, chop in half, backfill, and lay the sod. I probably way undercharged but I told them $60 per tree and $20 to dump them, they provided the sod. I'm sure I couldve gotten more but it was the first trees I have pulled so it was worth the experience as well. Did I do it for waaaaay to cheap?
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to say 80 dollars a tree and 40 to dump.

I don't think that you way undercharged. If you did labor at 40 an hour you would have made 60 for both trees.

Sounds like you were in the middle, which isn't a bad thing.

As long as you didn't spend too much time filling in the holes, seeding, sod, ect, you did OK in my book.
  10. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You should have gotten much more than you did...who ever planted those trees probably got at least $200/tree to plant-charge the same to remove a dead tree.