Tree Removal & lawn renovation

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by harryhomeowner, Sep 24, 2004.

1. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

I have a 60' Poplar that's dead which needs removal. I'm going to dig it out (w/ the help of the neighbors back hoe and remove the stump in its entirity) and plant grass.

The tree drowned, the way the yard was re-graded it probably never had a chance.

I plan on simply filling the hole with some large rocks & with dirt and regrading the area. Am I missing something here? I understand that I may need to add additional soil as this area settles.

It's the tree to the left of the swing set. It's approximately 8' away.

Thanks
    Harry

tree1.jpg

2. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Harry,

I'm over in Manassas and did the same type of stump removal you are about to do. The back hoe is the way to go and you do have access to one.

A couple of things to keep in mind. Wait until the ground is somewhat dry/solid so the back hoe doesn't create nasty ruts and related depressions in the soil. Mine was timed around Thanksgiving so the ground at that time was very dry and stable.

Also, the landfill off of Dumfries Road/234 in Prince William County did not accept my stumps. Said they were too big and wouldn't be able to run them through their chipper or mulcher. I ended up taking all three stumps to a landfill off of Hiway One in Lorton...cost me $35.00 at the landfill in addition to renting a 6' X 12' open trailor from Uhaul.

Hope this helps!
    Mindless

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I think a mini x would be a better choice. Weight is better distributed over the tracks, plus you won't have depresssions in the soil from stabilizers, IMHO.

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Digging the stump out would be good but may cause more lawn destruction
    than necessary.

A stump grinder would be good fill back in with soil

If this is a lawn area forget the rocks

This looks like typical construction damage,the other trees in the photo appear to have too much mulch on them
    ,but are most likely are also signs of construction damage.

This is a slow death for your trees. :cry:

5. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

Used the backhoe and it was down in 30 minutes.

The stump was only 24" deep.

Dumped the stump off into a container a neighbor had.

Filled the hole with some rocks and then filled the remainder of the area with a topsoil/compost/sand mix. Just need to re-rake, seed, water and watch the grass grow. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice.