Tree Removal Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawn360, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Lawn360

Lawn360 LawnSite Member

A customer of mine has 6 leyland cyprus trees. Wants them removed(stumps and all) how much should i charge. They are around 6 years old. Yes i have remove trees before, but not since i started my own company, so i dont know how much to charge.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

How tall are the trees.

Are you hauling them away when you are finished???

What about stump grinder rental and travel.

We need more details.

Shooting from the hip I would go up or down at 100 a tree.

3. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

How long will it take x how much you charge an hour
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ryall Landscaping

Ryall Landscaping LawnSite Member

He's right. There are a lot of variables

I quoted 100/tree though for a client..Thought I was doing her a favor..It was quite a lot of work (6 pines - ~30 ft all right next to the house. 2 had to be taken off in pieces. all hauled away)...She was shocked at how much it was..Said she had a guy coming to build a retaining wall and he had equipment to do it very cheap..I'm like ok (thinking "what the heck is she talking about?").

Long story short..Months later they're still there :laugh:. She was just extremely cheap.

5. Lawn360

Lawn360 LawnSite Member

Yes, i have to haul them away after removal. The trees are around 20 ft. Customer does not want me to use a stump grinder, dont know why, but whatever. They are lining a fence and have about a 7 inch base. Does anyone know how extensive the root systems are for cyprus, they've been in the ground for approx. 6 years.

6. Lawn360

Lawn360 LawnSite Member

Just turned in the estimate for 540. Too low or too high
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure you take into account any other factors as hauling charges and dump fees.

So, I would say it's in the ballpark, but are you cutting the stumps to the ground or what ???

As long as they aren't over 3 inches or so at the base, they might come up easy with a Maddox pick, or, be an absolute nightmare.

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

So how are these trees going to be to fall? What about getting the debris out to the trailer? Thats something else to consider..

9. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

You guys are charging $100 per tree? You're probably leaving at least $700 on the table each time. I just cut down a tree and hauled it off (didn't chip the limbs, hauled them off whole) and charged $700 for cutting and $300 for hauling off. After I did it I realized I should have charged about $1500 total because this tree was a complete pain. Tree had about 15 trunks to it all wound together so it couldn't just be fell and then cut up. Had to cut most of the limbs off with a pole saw. The tree was about 20-25 feet tall and about the same diameter. Branches from ground to top. Also I didn't remove the stump.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

10. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Wow buddy, that 1500 is way overpriced imo..

and you coulda taken the initiative to cut the stump ground level so it wasnt such an eye sore..