Tree Removal

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by PLM-1, Apr 3, 2005.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that had several trees dozed down. There is probably 12 of them. She wants me to cut them up and haul them away. I was thinking $40/man hour. I was thinking that it would probably take at least 2 days by myself. Does that price and time frame sound crazy?? I don't do much of this so I don't really wanna screw myself! :help:

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

IMO....WAY WAY WAY TOO LOW!!

You have too many expenses involved with this for $40/man-hour. (1) the chainsaw...not sure what size you need cause I don't know anything about the bulldozed trees. (2) Chipper...assuming that's what you are going to do with all the limbs. (3) How about the trunks...need to spend time cutting them to size for whatever fireplace...again an assumption. (4) Hauling...what will you do with all the debris?...i.e. wood chips (5) Do you need to rent a log splitter? (6) If you do perform tree work your insurance premium will definitely be higher than just 'landscaping'.

I would charge at least double what you are thinking...not including equipment rental, cost to remove debris, etc.

Just some thoughts...

3. PLM-1

A little more info. I have a new Shindaiwa 18" 488. She just wants them cut up and hauled off. Most of these trees i could wrap my arms all the way around (if that helps on size). No chipping, splitting or anything. I contacted my insurance company about this as well...he said as long as i'm not dropping the trees i'm fine. In my neck of the woods, a tree company could come drop the tree, cut it up, and haul it off for like $800 each, if that helps.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I differ from most on this site...I could care less what others charge. I'm going to charge what I need in order to make my desired profit. Completely guessing, I'm assuming ~100/hr for guy with chainsaw and a helper to start hauling the stuff out. I would charge around 30-40 per cu.yd. of debris removed.

5. PLM-1

Thanks for your input. I was thinking my price was LOW. Anyone else??

6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I would charge for cutting up trees that are down, 2.50 a ft.

Haul by the load 65-75 per pick-up load

:)

7. PLM-1

So $50 for a 20 ft tree? That doesn't sound like enough...

I was thinking about cutting them into about 5 feet sections and then loading them onto my trailer with either my Deere or by hand depending on the weight.

8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

20 ft done in less than 15 min sounds like good money

15 min x 20 ft = 50.00 x 4 = 1 Hour

1 hour= 50.00 x 4 =200.00 per hr.

sounds good to me.

9. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

my brother owns a tree service and i own a lawn service. he has all of the equip for the business and he guestimates how many hours it will take to complete and multiplies it times 300. i have a dump trailer and a chainsaw and i guestimate the hours times 100 and if i take a helper i make it 150 per hour. basically i look at the job and think what will i do this job for? and come up with a price that i am happy with and that while i am doing the job i will be happy with and take a water break and smile because i am making money. it depends on what u are happy with. i work hard and i like to work hard but i will not work for free and trees are hard work loading and unloading.

10. PLM-1

That's kinda where i'm at and trying to do. Since i've never don't anything like this it makes it sorta tough. the other bad part is where it is on the property. I can back down to it with my trailer but it is in a ravine.