Tree removal

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by spin2098, Jul 1, 2005.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

I figured I would just throw this out there to everyone to see what kind of input I get. I have a client who want's about 30 trees removed and about 15 saplings. The trees are all between 15 and 20 feet tall. There are no power lines or any obstacles that have to be watched out for and the stumps can stay in the ground cause they will be brining in a bulldozer to do some work. Anybody have any idea about a price. I also have a chipper that I can use to chip the limbs and what not up. Any input would be great. Thanks.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

3. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

50 a tree, the 20 footers can't be more than 6 inches with about 3-5 large limbs, chip them into a pile and tell the client that you'll charge for dumping too. It sounds like fun,
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

This isnt always true, it depends on species as well as age. some trees dont grow very tall, but they get really large trunks. MY advice, post a pic of the site to be worked on, and we can give you a better idea from there. I regularly do removals, but most are small crap like citrus trees(living nightmare).
  5. OVO

OVO LawnSite Member

Hello, my first post - I just wanted to say this is a great place for advice.

I have a lawn care business and have had lawns to trim, mow, hedge, landscape, etc. I get most of my business from neighbors of clients who see me working on the yard (as I'm sure most of you all do). Yesterday while I was blading down some hedges a neighbor of one of my clients asked me if I can remove his tree. The tree is in the front yard and blocks the entrance to the front door. Who ever planted this puppy was NOT thinking of the future! Anyways, it stands about 20 ft higher than the house, not very thick, not alot of branches. The trunk is almost thin enough for an average man to place his arms around hand to hand. My concerns are:

It is close to the house

There is a power line to the left about 15 ft

This is my first tree.

I was thinking of telling the man I couldn't do it. But part of me thinks I can. Any advice on HOW to cut the tree or your input of if I should even try it. Keep in mind there is a good amount of room in the middle if I can get the tree to fall right. What do you all think?

Thanks In Advance

6. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to say but you should pass on this one.

This is not the type of thing to "think you can do it"

Proximity to the house and wires demands that this is done by someone with experience.

Do you have insurance for this???

If its taller than the house, and close to power, it sounds like it migh need to be topped first---have you ever climbed with a saw??

Find an easier one for your first tree and sub this out.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree fully. Not worth even considering. As far as the guy with the 50 trees or however many it was. This is a blind question and cannot be answered. Knowing the height of the tree is one thing, but thickness and density of foliage, type of wood (hard or soft), access, and several other things are considered here.
  8. OVO

OVO LawnSite Member

Thanks freddy and runner ... after talking with the wife we decided I'll try to hussle some lawns to make up the difference. I'm not that desperate for the money but more for the experience and I'ld rather practice on my house then someone else's.

Thanks Again !
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

OVO, good descision to pass on it. Dangerous working around powerlines and illegal if not authorized by utility provider. Most providers won't even allow work around service drops to the house. Its in close enough proximity that you may be able to get the provider to remove it. Does Asplundh work in your area or Nelson tree? They are both outsource utilty arborists that do a lot of that type of work across the country. Homeowner should call and see if they would remove the tree.
  10. OVO

OVO LawnSite Member

Thanks, explained to the owner that I wouldn't be able to do it and why. He understood - I told him I would get someone for him that would be reasonable and insured and he thanked me and told me he would give me a bonus if the guy can put it down in a day