Tree removal

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DeepGreenLawn, May 2, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I need some help on pricing...

The customer has about 20 small pinetrees about 20' tall and 6" in diameter. They are pretty young like someone just didn't bother pulling out the new sprouts and let them grow over the years. I can grab a hold of the trunk real easily, almost like a large branch on an established tree. She wants to have them chipped up on her property so all I have to do is rent a chipper with no disposal.

I don't know how to price for this, I usually won't touch trees but these are so small and simple I figured it wouldn't take but half a day if that long. They are on a slope and short enough that I can easily cut them in half and dispose of them quite easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a chipper big enough to handle 6" diameter. Rental centers often have the smallest Vermeer chipper which has a capacity of 6" diameter.

Base your estimate on these factors:
    Your time to get the chipper. (Also mileage on your truck)
    20-30 minutes to cut and chip each tree (x20) It depends on how full they are.
    Any associated cleanup.
    Time to return chipper (and mileage)
    Chipper rental fee.

3. DeepGreenLawn

that works, I have an idea of what I charge per hour so I can just do that plus cost in chipper, feul, etc.

Thanks

4. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

for this job. Rent a 12" and you'll get done ALOT faster.
    This job is around $1,000 to $1,200 including rental.

5. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Get at least a 12" chipper...if u can get a larger one get it. It will take the whole tree without limbing it. If the tree does get hung up on the chipper, hit bthem with your saw so they will fold flatter to the trunk. The tree should go throught the chipper easer.

Do u need to grind the stumps also?? If not $1200-$1300 sounds rite...

Tree guy I sub out to gets about $50-$60 for that size tree, without grinding.
    Depending on how close to house/buildings, power lines ect...

6. DeepGreenLawn

Awesome, I greatly appreciate the help. Like I said, I don't normally even consider going for these things but the job was just sooo easy that it's hard to pass up giving a bid on.