Tree Rings with Bullet Edgers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Snyder's Lawn Inc, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Thought I share some photos on some tree rings I do
    From start to finsh
    1- Tree
    2-My home made Jig its 2 10ft pvc pipe
    3- paint on the jig
    4- Run the Truf Teq
    5- clean the extra dirt out
    6- Install 20 Bullet Edgers back fill add some seed outside
    7- install weed mat and River Rock

Done in 30 mins

SANY0338.JPG

SANY0339.JPG

SANY0340.JPG

SANY0341.JPG

SANY0342.JPG

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Rest pics you will see the last pic has different date
    I was done forgot to take last pic

SANY0343.JPG

SANY0363.JPG

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

What? No Mortar?

To clean up the circle too, you can take a piece of string, tie a loop around the trunk and set the distance for each paver a little more cleanly.

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Who use mortar on Edger stone they lock together

5. White Gardens

Doesn't matter, they still will move and pop up.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Yes they do if you drive the mower on them other wise they stay put
    Tree rings don t move like you think once I install last stone its very tight back fill the stones
    I dig mine in I have seen others install on top the ground and yes then they will move

7. White Gardens

Dug in or not they still move, and yes you should install them so that someone can put a mower wheel on them. When a yard gets mowed 30+ times a year, it's bound to happen.

I sell my edging with mortar for the maintenance factor. I want my clients to put a mower wheel on it so they can keep it cut nice. Then it only takes maybe a handful of times each year to use a string trimmer on the edging.

Good idea on the PVC pipe to try and get a good circle. Only issue I see in your pic is that the PVC pipe doesn't hold a true circle. If you are a stickler at all like me and want your circles exactly round, then use a string tied loosely around the tree. Then wrap the other end around a can of marking paint and you won't have any flat spots in your circle.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Mortar on non locking I can see but on locking stones OK
    If they hang deck and use a edger its looks clean
    My Jig holds a tru circle I lay it down its check with a tape before painted
    String not always true due to Is the base every tree perfect no
    With my Turf Teq I always over dig the circle by 2 inches that way there no air pockets on back side that will let stone move
    I been doing Bullet edgers since 90s when they come out with them and then I used a string works some times not all time more I did more I learned better ways So if you are still on the string kick ok you are new at it you will learn more as do them
    Lot the places I installed the edgers They still look like just installed them lot has been in the ground over 10 yrs That's ones I mow
    Yes if run tire on them they will move no matter if mortar in or not
    When I fix the ones that do move from a mower tire That's the ones on a curve i seen mostly
    I'll pull them up and pour concrete mix and re install the stones
    I check you not been doing this to long Did see you have Master degree
    You must be going by the book
    So sorry

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  9. White Gardens

No, I took the master gardners course, I don't have a masters. I've done this sort of work for 10+ years, have only been in business for 6 years.

I haven't had to go re-set any block that has been set in mortar. I sell quality, not up-scale HO work. Never should you have to re-set edging ever if you've installed them correctly. I don't waste time or money running around and re-setting blocks.

I understand your jig, especially for bullet edgers to get them to line up correctly.

String works, even if the trunk isn't completely round. It's about the optical illusion of not having any flat spots in my curves. That and I take the time to set my circles in proportion to the tree, not a standard ring or jig for each tree regardless of size. The string is only my "compass" to get equidistant from the trunk to the edge of the circle.

There is no craftsmanship in just setting blocks in the ground, especially when they line up neatly end to end. No cutting, no mitering, nothing special to differentiate between an HO job and a professional.

Also, I never use a bed edger to cut a circle around a tree. You'll never get the circle perfect as the edger won't meet your starting point cleanly. Tree rings are small, a shovel works better and you have the freedom to tweak your ring without taking out too much sod. That and I don't ever want to do major damage to any larger roots with a bed edger.

Here's your flat spot. Tell me now that your jig works the way you said it does. That and you're so set on making sure not to cut anything that you've created that flat spot in order to butt up your interlocking bricks correctly.

SANY0363.JPG

SANY0363.JPG

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Thats way photo looks I'll go take a pic at the diffent angle and see no flat spot