Tree Rings with Bullet Edgers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Snyder's Lawn Inc, Aug 6, 2011.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Trees and any other plants roots need air. When you use rock as mulch you impair that plants ability to breath.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Cmon guys, how many beds planters , etc., have stone as topdressing? Tons do and most plants, bushes and trees do just fine. Air goes through coarse stone easier than mulch. I would pull it back a couple inches from the trunk personally. Living in the land of and personally having "permanent" extruded concrete edging I can tell you it will all move eventually.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

No Offense, but that makes no sense. How is the tree suffocating? Its crushed stone.
    Water and air pass through with ease.
    Have you ever seen trees in a city environment, planted on the sidewalk encased with concrete with only a 2'x2' metal grate opening with crushed stone under the grate for drainage.
    The thought behind crushing stone , was for drainage use. Use for landscaping was an afterthought.

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I rather do Rock over mulch
    Mulch is a waste of money you have keep adding each year for color
    Rock lets water and air to the roots been doing them for 10 yrs with no suffocating the tree thats dumbest thing I ever heard
    I use to push mulch at one time Now I rather rock everything no maintance yes I know Im cutting my throat$$$$ Rock looks better Rock is a higher cost but in 5 yrs most time pays for its self over mulch some mulch price might be 2 yrs
    When you tell customer maintance free bed its a good seller

5. GroundOneMN

GroundOneMN LawnSite Member

You can go round and round with this topic, but mulch and the benifits that it provides to the plant and or tree far surpass anything that using rock will.

By the way rock is far from maintence free, it is worse than mulch when it comes to maintence.

6. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

I'm waiting for mine to do that. It's been 6 years now. I'm thinking they aren't deep enough to have a major issue with that.

Besides, won't the mortar crack if they heave up?