Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardsmith, Mar 28, 2000.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

the tree in question is a sweet gum tree.<br> It has the spike balls hanging on it now, & the trunk is about 12-14&quot; around (not 3&quot;). overwatering does not seem to be a factor. <br>The owners want to hide the roots for mowing & visual reasons; will about 3&quot; of topsoil hold things for awhile?<br>Any suggestions?<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
  2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Now you have to make a choice: quick fix or long term solution? From previous discussion the client wishes to sell house in near future, so quick fix is the apparent answer here. Even if you removed the tree, you would still have to deal with the roots. Your idea is probably most viable for this situation. I would qualify to client that this is a short term fix.<p>Sweetgum is another tree that will surface root easily. To see it simply stated, go to &lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Surface Roots&lt;/a&gt;. Might want to print out this to show clients for future root fixups.<p><br>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<p><br>
  3. crabber

crabber LawnSite Member

We have alot of sweet gums around here. I absolutely hate them. I saw one that had blown down on a wildlife refuge. It was about four feet across. I hate those gumballs.
  4. Hello:<p>It's been my understanding that if you put say like a foot maybe less of dirt definatley more over exposed roots that it could kill the tree. The roots surface because they need more water.<p>But this is not something that I know a bunch about?<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home:<br>My Start Up Page