1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree Roots & Their Effect on Pipes?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1simple, Jul 15, 2008.

1. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I always wanted to know, should you ever be worried about trees and/or plants and their roots getting into the pipes of an irrigation system? If I'm not mistaken, a tree's roots can and will break into pvc pipes. Any advice on this topic?

2. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

I doubt roots can get "into" irrigation pipes. But I have seen pictures (perhaps on this forum) where tree roots have grown around a pipe. I specifically recall a picture of roots that had grown around copper pipe and simply crushed it.

My main consern when I was installing my irrigation system was tree roots growing between multiple pipes running in the same trench. I could then see the root swelling over time and either spreading the pipes or breaking them. That's why (if it will truly help... only time will tell) I lined the sides of my trenches with vinyl siding when ever I ran pipes anywhere near tree roots.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yes they can crush and pinch and break pipes. Fixed one yesterday. Root grew over a tee fitting and pushed it down and broke it.
  4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I've had to hack roots back that have collapsed poly pipe. Takes time for the roots to get there, but you can't stop the will of Mother Nature
  5. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

Happens somewhat often with poly, usually not for 5-10 years though. Condos are notorious for them, with trees being planted in the curb boxes and such.

not the end of the world though.