Tree roots

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TPnTX, Aug 6, 2007.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a landscape customer who is asking me about irrigation options and there is an issue regarding a Tree.

This is a fairly small front yard and one section is bordered by the parkway sidewalk, entry sidewalk, property line and the house.

This entire section is has roots from a big Silver Leaf Maple probably 12 years old. If you've seen these mature trees they have major surface roots.

So as an irrigator would you:

a: trench through the roots and irrigate with sprays

b. avoid trenching the roots and use rotors

or
    c. move to the next job.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Both options would work. Never trench ACROSS the roots, into works. Avoid
    hitting the trunk, & make sure you're just beyond the drip line. A moisture
    probe is helpfull determining initial run times. We have had great luck with
    Toro "Stream-Rotors", but the MP Rotators will work as well. Try to keep
    turf away from the trunk, a lite mulch will help too.:)

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Don't cut the roots of any tree unless absolutely necessary, especially silver maple, which is susceptible to several different types of root rot.

4. Mike Leary

Good point Kiril, if memory serves, the silver has VERY soft roots and tends
    to be close to the surface like aspens, especially in crummy soil. I would
    amend my earlier post to spot rotars (Stream) for irrigation or MPs so as to stay as far from the drip zone as possible, if trenching is done, the manual
    method would be preferred, less damage.

5. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Silver Maples are trash trees. I had five at my house when I bought it and cut them all down. Drop limbs, ruin the yard, roots get into everything, and they don't live long or should I say start dieing about age 20.

6. Mike Leary

Do I detect a third personality......"Paul Bunyon?":laugh:

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you're prepared to cut roots. It won't be too long and the roots will be lifting concrete and everything else in sight.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Maples are when a good plow with a thin blade can shine. Run wide loops around the trunks of the worst of the trees. Drip lines don't figure into it sometimes, because an entire lawn can be within the drip line of the trees that shade it.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Did you tree huggers NOT read the post??? :) :laugh: :hammerhead:

10. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Are these the type of trees that lift up and fall over in high wind storms? And that's without cutting thru any roots.