Tree Rot Problems - Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 trees in my backyard that look like this. They are peeling off bark, but have healthy leaves on them, I think they are both Oaks. What could this be, how do I stop it?

Thanks for ANY help as I have no idea how to treat this (if it's even treatable)

2. Doogiegh

Second tree picture of problem..

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Id say that tree definitely is dying. The tree can probably be saved, but tree surgery is probably not cheap. Contact an aborist. I have see trees like that and somehow, someway, for some reason, concrete was poured in to save the tree.:confused:
  4. The roots have died on that side of tree 1. It's not treatable.
    The tree may continue to live for many years. If it is otherwise
    healthy and not a threat to life or property, leave it be.

The roots may have died from damage to the base of the tree,
    which is common, or directly to the roots or what looks like
    just plain lousy soil conditions around there.

The second tree looks like it took a hit.
  5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Lewis Landscape e-mailed me this post, so I figured I'd reply.

There are at least 2 possible causes for that injury:

1. Mechanical or physical injury, like being struck by a machine.

2. (Happens a lot) Sunburn - where too much foliage was pruned off at one time allowing sun to burn the tissue, then the bark peels in a couple or few years. This can also happen when other trees are removed allowing light to come in.

As a rule of thumb, if the damage does not reach to the soil, and the dead area is 1/3 or less of the circumference of the trunk, it is a possible salvage candidate.

If the dead area is more than 1/3 of the trunk circumference, like even 1/2, its very dangerous, and will come down at some point in time.

If the dead area is 1/4 of the way around, and the dead area reaches the ground, it is very possible it needs to go, but depending on how old the damage is, could remain for a short period of time.

Brush up on tree care at our free advice pages. They are free to read actually. The pages that are noted as copyright material may be reproduced as long as my name and contact information are clearly written at the top of the copy along with the copyright.

There is a page on hazard trees, and a substantial page within the Advice button option.

About 10 websites from the US to Canada to UK have added our name and URL on one of their pages as a source for tree care information the past 3 months.

We don't list everything, obviously. What we have added are topics on some of the most common issues, dangers, needs, etc., that we encounter or have been asked about.

Feel free to list us - AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A GOOGLE RANK of at least a 2 or 3. Either load the Google toolbar, or ask someone with it to look up your website and see where it ranks.

Hope you get your tree thing worked out.
  6. Doogiegh

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know the history of the trees and if they had been hit by machines or not. They are in full bloom now and look healthy, but as you can see in the both pictures, both trees damage does indeed go all the way down to the soil level... Bummer for the tree.. One the one, the bark is actively peeling away so I didn't know if it had a disease that was curable or not...

I'll have to check into it further and see if an arborist can do anything with concrete as previously mentioned.. Thanks guys, especialy mdvaden for the very informative replies!
  7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

the second pic looks like a ash or a linden or a pinoak that got mower disease early on in life and as it grew it never healed correctly. I had a customer that had a ash with a similar wound for over 20 years and just recently had it removed for safety reasons

get us some pics of the whole tree