1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tree service

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfdoctor1, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you guys offer tree services (fertilizer/pesticides)?

It seems like every call I have received this year has asked for these services. I want to try to take care of the customers' needs, but I am absolutely clueless when it comes to trees (kind of embarrassing, since I have a Masters degree in Horticulture).

I am trying to get an idea about a general seasonal service plan for small trees in my area as well as finding some idea of how to price the service. I have searched the site with little luck.

Anyone have advice?
  2. Turfdoctor1

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Diving in both feet this year. I wish I had your problem of the work showing up on my door. I am trying to upsell my existing customers. It is a natural add-on and it keeps some of the bigger co's of my lawns. It seems to be more profitable than lawns and less competetion.
  4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Treating trees more than 15' tall requires an Arborist License here in CT. The regular 3A license doesn't cut it.

Most of the Arborists that I deal with aren't interested in treating lawns. Most are VERY concerned about having phenoxy herbicides on the tree truck hence prefer to have a different truck/crew altogether if they bother with turf at all.

Back when I was an applicator only 2 of us out of 12 were trusted to treat both trees & turf off the same truck. But we were also the only 2 staff Arborists so if something went wrong it was our butts in the sling.

The need for an isolated tank/pump/hose ensamble is so obvious I won't get into it here. Suffice to say the trucks were highly specialized (expensive).
  5. turf hokie

You are right about the separation of equipment. I am dedicating 2 200 gal tanks and 2 50 gal tanks to trees and shrubs. I can't afford the dedicated tree truck until the work justifies it but it is on the radar. Can't wait to be able to justify that purchase!!!!
    I have hired a "tree guy" that you know to run and grow this "division" he will be doing both lawns and trees until then but not in the same day or route it will be separated so there won't be any lost time switching equipment or carrying the whole barn on the truck.
    Turf doc-- as far as pricing get some competetive info. and check with your vendors they should be able to help. As far as programs we are offering--depending on property, an IPM program, or selective sprays. We are going with a reduced risk program as much as we can.
  6. Turfdoctor1

thanks guys. i'm going to try to give it a go, but i don't know if i will have enough customers to warrant it. thanks again.

7. turf hokie

I did it last season with a 50 gal sprayer dedicated to the trees and just set aside a day every so often to go and do the app. I even fed out of the 50.

Don't worry about the customer base, gotta start somewhere.