1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree, Shrub, and Hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adamc6, Feb 28, 2002.

1. adamc6

adamc6 LawnSite Member

For those of you who offer Tree, Shrub, and/or Hedge trimming, how do you price these jobs? Please tell me what you know about this. thank you

2. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I charge by the hour includes clean-up and removal
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Since it sounds like this is going to be your first season shearing shrubs and pruning trees, I would write down how long each job you get takes. Then you need to catergorize by size so that if you get to a site that has 200 2' shrubs and 135 4' shrubs and 20 15' tall deciduous trees, you will know how long its going to take you based on past experience with specimens of similar sizes and foliar types.

I dont exactly remember which it was, but if you do a search on SHRUBS you will find a thread that many here gave details as to how they price for these services. I know mines out there in the archives somewhere. If you cannot find it I will dig it up when I have more time.

Hope this helps some.
  4. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I charge by the hour. My prices are high because I up everything. If I know I can do a job in 1-2 hours I charge them for 4. This insures that no matter which one of my men are on the job its done right the first time. I dont like anyone rushing on trimming jobs. I like my bushes tight no Don Kings as I call it. LoL's
  5. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I charge by the hour with a minimum of (2) hours per man. With the trimming equipment these days, you can really fly through some jobs, why should I suffer on hours becasue Stihl makes great hedge trimmer.
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, charge by the hour. Anything other than mowing, I charge by the hour. So far it's worked out pretty well. On my comm. properties though, it is included in the monthly fee because they want it this way and so far it's also worked out well. I feel that tree, shrub, and hedge trimming is hard work, so charge accordingly. I personally prefer to mow over trimming, but that's just my opinion. I'll do trimming if a homeowner requests it. Good luck.
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I estimate my time and give them a figure (plumber and electrician rates). If I'm off by too much I eat it but I never tell them what the hourly rate is. If I did that then I would never get the job!:D

I'm in it to make money just like the other service providers.

I usually come out on the winning end with the rates I use and nobody has complained yet.
  8. TheLawnBoy

TheLawnBoy LawnSite Member

Charge by the hour, includes cleanup and removal. However I try not to tell them too much of the "by the hour part" since the price is a little elevated to make up for the great job that my stihl trimmer does. That thing cuts the time in half!!!
  9. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

This is how I charge for trimming bushes:
    under 2 ft $2 PER BUSH
    2 to 4 ft $3 per bush
    4 to 6 ft $4 per bush
    6 to 10 ft $5 per bush

*Anything over 10 ft I sub out to a good friend of mine as he has a long shaft articulating hedge trimmers(StihlFH 75) that do a really great job ..........
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive started doing what jusmowing is doing with variations more
    determined by degree of difficulty.that may be determined by size ,but sometimes not.