1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tree/Shrub Suggestion

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Triton2286, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Triton2286

Triton2286 LawnSite Member

A new weekly mowing customer wants a tree or tall shrub planted where the large tree next to the curb is in the attached picture. That tree is no longer there as it came down during Sandy before they purchased the house.

He wants to put a Weeping cutleaf Japanese Maple in that spot but I think it wouldn't look good there and they don't currently live in the house so I feel a Japanese Maple is going to be too high maintenance. Maybe I'm wrong?

I'm new to things like this and can't really think of anything that would look good in that spot. The bed doesn't exist either. Only thing I came up with would be a Viburnum Winterthur.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The spot gets sun almost all day.

Capture1.jpg

2. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

Most ornamental trees will require some pruning. I don't think Japanese Maples require excessive maintenance. Like a Bradford Pear or something.

That tree's pretty close to the street. I'd check for a setback ordinance before planting a new one. It looks as if they built the street around that tree.

3. 3rdDayBrad

3rdDayBrad LawnSite Member
    from MI

A japanese maple, while a beautiful tree, may not be the best plant for the spot. Anything low, or shrub-like, would block the owners view pulling out of the drive.

Personally, I would look at some unique trees that would stand out from the crowd in the neighborhood. My suggestions:

* European Beech (Purple or Green leafed varieties)
    * Sweetgum "Gold Dust"
    * Zelkova "Green Vase"
    * Sugar maple (great fall color)
    * "Bloodgood" Japanese Maple (the upright variety..... great vase shape/color)

Just my opinion. Good luck!!

4. Triton2286

Triton2286 LawnSite Member

Brad, they have a Bloodgood on the other side of the house which they pointed out today so might be going with that.

Thanks for those suggestions!