tree spade

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by racerdave, Sep 21, 2003.

1. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I posted this a couple days ago in another forum. I thought I would try here for any do or don'ts for this machine. Our local dealer is worthless......anyway here is what I had posted earlier.

Vermeer TS-44 tree spade
    What kind of experiences do you all have with these? I've had one fall into my lap this summer and I'm really going to promote it this fall.

David

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of information are you looking for? I spent hundreds of hours operating vermeer tree spades years ago. I'm sure I can remember some relevant and helpful information.

3. racerdave

the one I got was a basket case, Ive replaced the engine(one that Wisconsin didn't seem to remember making), rehosed, built new hitch (complete with new extension arm). What would really help is a good picture of the rear latching assembly for the back of the spade. this thing was heavily cobbled together when I got it. In fact, I'm sure it was rolled at least once in it's lifetime. The latch it has on it is somewhat loose and it throws the geometry of the spades out (they tend to open up about three inches at their tips with a full root-ball). I'll probably need to rework the pivot pins (bushing assemblies) next summer.

Sorry to unload all this, but I really need as much knowledge from the experts here to get me thru this season..

4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think I can help you with those questions, I was a hell of an operator but not much on mechanical. I recognize the problems you talk about, but we always had a mechanic in the shop to fix those things. Sorry.

5. racerdave

Did you do anything to tie the top of the tree down when transporting? They really seem to catch alot of wind....I really hate slowing down under 70:D