tree spades and time?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by AintNoFun, Nov 18, 2007.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

quick question, we have a job coming up where we have to move 500 1.5" caliper trees from a county run tree farm and then transplant them throughout the county.. i've only used a tree spade maybe once or twice alonggg time ago. im just looking for some rough production numbers and spading a 1.5" cal tree out of the ground, any help would be appreciated.. thanks

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

125 to 150 a day row run.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I just had 8 medium pine trees spaded and moved about 200 yards and that guy who has been doing this for 20+ years averaged a tree per hour. This was a big spade 4.5' deep hole and the old guy was chatty. I was there the whole time and I guessed a young guy hustling may have been able to getter-done in about 30-40 min per tree.

The time consuming part for us was the hard clay soil and the amount of time it takes for the spade to get into the ground. I would be surprised to see more than 6 trees an hour of any size and I think even that is optimistic.

One thing I know is things are done differently in different parts of the country but 100 trees in a day wont happen here in AZ. Thats one tree every 5 minutes if you don't have to get to the job, fill the water tank, eat lunch, take a break or talk to any one, if no one or thing gets in your way... and that is only 100 trees.

4. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Here it isn't hard to hit a hundred in the 65 spade on a semi in a day. It depends on how much you get paid per tree. Were transplanting or basketing AZ?

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Transplanting

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i wont be b & bing them. i was shooting high at 65 trees at a day. so you saying you can do 100 loading them on a trailer? thanks