Tree spikes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Apr 28, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Any of you ever try these for deciduous trees or conifers? I have planted several small pines in my yard and used stakes with a 12-6-12 formulation, I believe to help them grow. So far, so good....but I am curious how long they will really feed for.

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Dont waste your time with them
    In my opinion

3. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto...Neal

4. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a deep root fertijector with good results.

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Best thing to do is to fert. around the drip line in a broadcast application along with your regular turf program. I would not use the spikes. Tried them once and they really suck.

You are better off taking a big tamp and driving a whole and then pouring regular fert. in the hole.

6. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

That's exactly what the fertijector does ... it's a discontinued item from Lesco, though.

7. tprjohn1

tprjohn1 LawnSite Member

compare my prices to rittenhouse. it is really a great tool. :)

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

The spikes have worked incredibly well especially when compared to the unfertilized trees of the same species, elsewhere in my yard...

9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

jaj, I think that the main issue with the spikes is in reaching the root zone. Depending on the soil type and the depth of the root, the spikes may never release deep enough to be available to the tree. That being said, something is better than nothing and the spikes can do particularly well with newly planted trees with their roots still in the original root ball area. Another knock, however, is the preformulated analysis not necessarily being the best thing for the species or the soil in your area. Deep root, high pressure feeding will be the choice for most pros, but if you are getting results in your application, I would continue until the trees get too large for it to be effective anymore. The duration will depend on soil type, moisture and the coating product used by the manufacturer.

10. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Some may disagree but I use the injection systems. To date I have not injured any trees and the growth vs time is unbeliable.