1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree stake drivers? Other than human powered.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green Pastures, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Doing a job we're doing right that includes installing 78 trees.

We are 6" below average rainfall for this year already. Needless to say the soil is like a rock around here.

We've been putting 3 stakes per tree as required by the job's contract.

It's killing my manhours as it's taking AT LEAST 20 minutes to drive three stakes, I considered half of that.....

Is there something like a gas powered stake driver or maybe an attatchment for a Cat 257B that drives stakes with hydraulic power?
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have seen the temporary fence companies use a pneumatic one to drive in the metal stakes. I think it may destroy a wood stake though. I would be curious my self, we are doing a re-stake job with 111 trees removing the transport stakes and double staking them. But I told the guy it was a T&M job so I'm not sweating it so much.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You could try a small auger bit on a drill to get the holes going and then use a fence post driver to ram them in.Trees don't need three stakes,two is plenty if propely placed.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Have you seen how big these trees are?

Besides the contract calls for 3 stakes if you read my post you'd know that....:)

Also already tried the auger...pre-drill.....doesn't help much at all. Thanks for that suggestion though.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Can you GUY them instead of staking them?Try to clause the contract to allow you to do so?
  6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I know you are looking for something other han man power, but are you using a regular hammer or a slide hammer?
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious, how was it that the gas powered rotory hammer drill didn't help?
  8. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

9. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

But still human powered......When we drive posts for temporary/site safety/security chainlink fence I just get in the Kubota and drops the bucket on the Gal pipe...either drives em in or bends em like a toothpick:rolleyes:
  10. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

check out this powered shovel that also drives tree stakes. at www.dynadiggr.com