1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree Staking

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ken50, Aug 31, 2004.

1. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I just picked up a property that has been neglected, and they have several trees that need to be staked. I have staked trees before here at the house, but I was wondering if someone could give me the ABC's of staking a tree correctly. What is the best type of stake, size, etc. Thanks!
  2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

The stake is not as important as how you do it. Dont let the rope you use directly touch the tree. It will irritate the tree and rub at the outer bark.

I like to take a section of old hose and thread a rope through it and use that to wrap around the tree instead of just rope. The hose acts as an insulator and keeps the tree healthy.

Any stake will do but I try to get the small 8-10 inch iron stakes that you can find at a hardware store.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think we used to stake at southwest, northwest and east.
  4. Bryant Tree

Bryant Tree LawnSite Member

One of the best systems out there reconized by consulting arborists for tree staking on mature sites is called a duck bill system. You can find more info at treetools .com , thats where we get most of our materails but about any green indrustry tool company should have them. Your client will want the best product out there , and if you stake with something that fails and another company says it wasnt done properly,were does that leave you. Hopefully that helps.
  5. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

If the tree is grown and dug properly at the nursery, staking for support is not necessary in most home landscape situations.

Studies have shown that trees will establish more quickly and develop stronger trunk and root systems if they are not staked at the time of planting. However, protective staking may be required on sites where lawn mower damage, vandalism or windy conditions are concerns.

If staking is necessary for support, two stakes used in conjunction with a wide flexible tie material will hold the tree upright, provide flexibility, and minimize injury to the trunk.

Remove support staking and ties after the first year of growth.

6. Bryant Tree

Bryant Tree LawnSite Member

Very well said!
  7. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing I noticed about Duckbills (it was at only one site, though), is that they will eventually loosen up over time if repeatedly hit by a lawn mower deck (d'uh).

The really bad part is that is starts to weaken the wire where it connects to the duckbill, and eventually it will break.

Had that happen this summer on a tree that was staked late last fall on a new install....

D*mn mower boys!