1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tree suggestion

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by coxslawncare, Jun 2, 2005.

1. coxslawncare

coxslawncare LawnSite Member

I've got a commercial property that the owner has asked about replacing some trees that were pruned back to far. I'm from Virginia and I am looking for a tree that will not grow much above 20 feet. Also need to have some clearance under the first branches because these trees will be very close to the road, and visibility when leaving is an issue. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. jim_g

jim_g LawnSite Member

I'll throw out a flowering dogwood as a possibility. Beautiful tree that is just about right for what you are asking.

They average around 20' but can get bigger. If they do want to get big, they grow slowly enough that occasional trimming can keep them in line.
  3. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Close to the road might indicate a narrow tree, Use columnar hornbeam Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata'
    A wider area could use crape myrtle, people can see through the clear limbs.

Both of these choices will tolerate the dry severe commercial location conditions

Flowering dogwood needs a much more moderate location...full sun in a commercial location is death. In your area think back 2 weeks when they were all blooming, the dogwoods were in wooded areas.