Tree Trimming

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Mar 31, 2003.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering going into tree trimming, once I can afford a decent trailer. It seems like I could make more money at it. I would appreciate advice from anyone with experience in tree trimming.
  2. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

Try this site. I have asked these fellows a couple of questions in the past and they help me everytime.
  3. menchhofer

menchhofer LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

PROPER tree pruning begins with knowledge. Take courses in arboriculture and tree biology BEFORE attempting tree trimming.
  4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking just simple trimming from the ground or do you mean actually getting in the serious, professional side of it. If it is the latter, there are a lot of things to consider. Have you climbed trees professionally before? Pros don't use ladders. They use ropes, harnesses and saddles. Most of them also have large chippers that they pull with 1 ton enclosed box trucks that they shoot the chips into. Then there is the insurance issue. This a much more dangerous job than mowing lawns so the insurance is a lot higher. And as menchofer said, it takes training and knowledge.
    This is why I sub out all of my major tree work. They can do it cheaper for me than it would cost me to rent a chipper for the day.
  5. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I was just in Milford, CT today to look at bucket trucks. Brand new starts at about $80,000 and I was hearing about people spending over $200,000 for them. About all a trailer will help you with is moving a skid steer or stump grinder. New chipper can be anywhere from $20,000 - $80,000 depending on engine sizes and options.

Menchofer is right though, start by reading books. There are a TON that you can read which are good, but really nothing beats working under an experienced climber for a while.
  6. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. Seems like it is something that would require some advance planning and research to do it right. As far as the large trucks and chippers, I don't think it would be neccesary to buy $300K worth of equipment to get started. I'm sure there are some tree-trimming services that do not have all that stuff, although it could certainly be done faster. I talked to a customer about an estimate she had to remove a rather small tree, for about $700-$800. I'm sure the job would be quick with a larger truck and a chipper, but I'm sure it could be done with a chainsaw and a trailer. Even with 4 trips to the dump at a cost of $80, and $20 worth of fuel, the job could be done in 2 days, if I was really slow, at about $300 a day minimum, or 1 day, if I was fast, for $600-$700. And cutting down a tree doesn't require much education.
  7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

PLEASE, join and read up on there, and talk to people on there before you try doing tree work on your own. A tree for $700 - $800 while not HORRIBLE, is not going to be a walk in the park either. Please, also keep in mind that getting the tree to the ground doesn't take as long as it does to get it cleaned up. What you see from the ground is a LOT less than what you get once its all down on the ground.

I don't mean to sound like an *****, but a lot of people have been dieing lately in the tree business, and I would hate to hear about you being one of those people.
  8. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

You guys sound like a bunch of tea drinking old ladies. "please be careful", "are you aware this is dangerous"? Hey, he is a grown man and I am sure he knows by now that falling from a tree can be dangerous, or chainsaws can be dangerous. Give the guy a break and tell him something that might help him.
  9. treeguy347

treeguy347 LawnSite Member

With all due respect, these guys are not a bunch of "tea drinking old ladies" They have been in the tree care industry for many years and are trying to be helpful by pointing out the realities of our work. Have you ever watched a good climber in action? They make it look so easy, so effortless. Have you ever tried to climb professionally? It's a different story, it requires training, and not the kind you can get by reading a book. You have to realize tree care is very different in the fact that what the customer wants may not be what is best for the overall health of the tree. Most people can be shown what is best and will decide to do that and be happier in the long run when the property value stays high because of properly maintained trees, not lowers because a hack butchered them. Please realize we are trying to be helpful by pointing out the realities of the industry. Lawnmowerman, if you are serious about getting into tree care, that is great! An easy starting point is Go there, and start getting educated. One of the sponsors of that site puts on excellent training, which i would highly recommend.
  10. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member