tree trimming

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTS lawn care, Sep 29, 2003.

1. JTS lawn care

JTS lawn care LawnSite Member

i am suppose to trim a couple of branches for a tree they are around 3-5" and haul them away was wondering what you guy think would be a good price for doing this. anything would be helpful thanks.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

depending on how big these branches are, and how many, it does not sound like too big of a job. Maybe 20 minutes to cut and load, and you're out of there.
    From your brief description, I'd say $75, which should cover your time and disposal. This may go up a little if the job is bigger than described.

Get a picture up if you can.
    Hope this helps.

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Most tree services have a minimum of $80.

My opinion is:

If you are not sure what its worth, then its worth what you think it may take at your regular wage.

If you are mowing and maintaining at $35 per hour, then charge that rate plus debris.

For us, if it was a flowering cherry, that may be 5 minutes and 1/2 cubic yard of debris for that branch diameter.

But if it was 5 inch diameter of Pin Oak, thats possibly 30 minutes of nasty tangly debris.

5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This is one thing that constantly plagues me. Customers are always asking me to remove small trees or limbs or picnic tables or other junk.

Ok. I'm already on the property every week to mow, so, as for an extra trip charge, I can't justify that. To cut down the limbs with my pruning knife might be 10 minutes of labor. No big deal. Maybe $10 for that.

The problem is disposing of the stuff. In order for me to haul that off to the city dump, it's 15 to 20 minutes of driving each way because I have to drive real slow over those bumpy pot-holed city dump roads or beat the hell out of my trailer. Then, there's always a wait at the scale house. Some times it's 5 minutes other times it's 15 or so. It also costs me $20 just to get into the city dump. Basically, I'm looking at an hour to an hour and half on average, plus a $20 dump fee.

So customers are always asking me to remove a limb that they know won't take more than 10 minutes of work to cut and throw on my truck or trailer. I tell them $65, which is really cheap, and they balk. They must think I've got my own personal city dump at my house or something. I always explain that it costs me $20 just to get into the city dump and then they understand a little better. But then they never have me do it because it costs too much.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

More and more cities and towns around here are doing composting which is absolutely great for just that kind of stuff.
    Ours takes up to 4 inches in diameter.Oh ya ..its free!