Tree ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Premo Services, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

During the last ice storm, an oak fell down and my customer had it cut up and hauled away. The tree company did not grind the stump out, they cut it a little lower but no grindy grindy.
    I am wondering if I put dirt over the stump, would there be any problems with grass growing there. I have always removed as much of the chips as I could, then filled with soil, seeded, straw the area.
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I see a couple potential problems. The stump may push suckers which will interfere with the lawn. Or the stump may rot, causing the ground to settle creating a dip. In both cases, mushrooms will probably form as the stump decays.
  3. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

You will not be able to get grass to grow by simply covering it up. If you grind it out make sure you get as much as possible. I did a lawn install a few years back, the homeowner told me a company had taken out a large tree the year before and was sure they ground it out. Long story short they took it down about 4 inches, they had to come back and take it out completly. I had a heck of a time getting grass to take where the tree was.
    Good Luck Andrew
  4. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would develop fairy ring in the yard. The grass will be really green and grow well under where the stump decays because it will be very fertile ground.
  5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with pretty much everything posted. There is no way you will be able to get good grass to grow by simply covering the stump with dirt.
  6. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

go to your hardware store and get some of that chemical stump burn, drill a couple in it, pour that chemical on there, wait for about 8-12 months, pull it, and then plant your grass.
  7. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Grind that thing and fill with dirt. Seed or put sod on the dirt after you exchange the xhips for nice soil. You will more that likely see a mushroom ring develop after a while.
  8. BlakeReeder

BlakeReeder LawnSite Member

It depends on where you are located. I have had great luck with grinding 3-6inches below the ground, removing most chips, adding soil, then put sod over the top. No more area than what is there just put sod. It might cost you 3-5 dollars. Enjoy the advantage of instant turf.
  9. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

Good luck, expect to get a fairy rind down the road. Grind the stump out.
  10. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have never heard of a "fairy rind" before, could you explain?