Tree's/ and baskets

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Trim Creations, May 16, 2004.

1. Trim Creations

Trim Creations LawnSite Member
    from Ks

Whats is every bodys opinion on takeing the metal baskets off or leaveing them on a tree.

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I was taught to leave the baskets on. By removing them, you risk losing all of the soil off the root ball. I try to remove as much of the burlap as I can, but always leave the basket. So far, it has worked for me.

3. I have heard the pro's and cons for leaving them on and taking them off, anymore I just flip a coin and decide.

4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Having moved literally thousands of trees when I was younger and worked for a wholesale nursery/landscaper, I would say leave them on. We worked mostly commercial accounts, and all plant material was guaranteed for a year. We never removed baskets. If the ball was tied with treated rope, we cut the rope away from the tree, if it was untreated we left it there. If we had treated burlap, we also cut that away at the top of the ball. I was with that company about 7 years and never saw a problem. I also worked for a College in the area after that and we bought plant material from the same company with never a problem.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I always remove both burlap and baskets. Been doing it for well over 20 years.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have done it both ways, i have taken the backets off and left them on and still no difference in the outcome, it makes no difference. The basket will rust away after a period of time as well as the burlap, plus the roots are stong enough to puncture through the burlap.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Most places recommend bending the tops of the basket over as well as the burlap, but leaving them on. Both will decompose over time. ;)

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on the soil inside of the basket. IMHO, its probably better to remove when possible. However, sometimes the ball can split, or totally fall apart. It is very important to minimally untie the burlap and twine from the trunk of the shrub or tree. Any msnmade burlap or nylon type twine should be removed. I recommend not purchasing shrubs in nylon or synthetic burlap. AS far as the cages rusting or rotting away ... HELLO they're galvanized. They may rust after 50+ years, but definately not in 10. What we've been doing as of late is removing the top 1/3 of the cage, untying all burlap, folding into hole and backfilling. Should you decide to remove the cage, I always recommend placing the plant material on the edge of the hole, cutting the cage vertically, then peeling the cage away from the ball and lowering gently into the hole. Good luck whichever you decide. Afterall, planted either way, the material should outlast your warranty period.

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

your baskets may be galvanized, but the ones i get from my supplier are not. So it wont take but a year or so for it to rust away.

10. Trim Creations

Trim Creations LawnSite Member
    from Ks

I was also tought to leave them on, Never ??? before this week and the guy was vety up set that I left them on so I had to pull them back up and take them off. to make the costumer always right........................ Thanks to all the answers they were very informitive and helped ease my mind.