1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trees for a Deer Plot

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by carcrz, Nov 27, 2006.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'm thinking long-term. What trees or plants should I plant to help bring in or keep more deer here. (Zone 5 & white-tail deer) I am thinking some Pear & Apple trees. Also, what would be a good tree for a stand. It's gotta be tall & solid. I can thin it out as need be. I already have an established tree farm w/ all christmas trees. My neighbors planted it when they were kids 30 years ago so it also provides a good habitat for deer. The evergreens cover 2 sections of about 4 long acres each divided by a road. I will be planting all of my stuff on one end where there is just overgrown grasses & a small creek nearby.
  2. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

any fruit tree or Pecan to bring in the deer

Oak or Hickory for the stand.....if you have a few years to wait

the problem with a tree to attract deer is the deer will eat the thing until it dies unless you protect it with fencing for a number of years

best bet is to put out a forage food plot and go from there
  3. try some salt blocks.
  4. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Any varity of oak that will produce a lot of acorns!
  5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Great idea for an article.

I have a deer resistant plant page listed in my home page drop-down menu, and my first inclination would be to answer with "everything but what's on the deer resistant list".

But deer do have certain favorites. And some people do enjoy the deer coming around, rather than leaving.

So I may make a deer attractant plant list today, or this week.

But whatever deer eat, they eat quick, so the idea may not be as practical as it seems.

If I plant 5 Nandina for deer today, and 3 of them eat those by Thursday, there is no plant left to grow bigger.
  6. carcrz

Time isn't an issue here as I will probably be around here until someone offers me so much that I could retire & move to Tahiti.

I've got a couple salt blocks near some of my other stands, but I am trying to take a different route if I can on this one. Since there has been quite a bit of developments going in w/in the surrounding area, we have seen a decrease in deer population on our land. I am thinking most have moved towards the lake that is North of us by a few miles.

As for protecting the trees, that's no problem. I can put some barrier or a fence around each one of them until they are mature enough to fight back. I may even plant so many of them that even if I lose a couple that it's no big deal.
  7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If you really want to bring them in - consider some kind of foraging plant that could be seeded all over the place - both annuals that reseed, and perennials.

I'm fairly certain they like crabapples - they definitly like pears.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

White oaks are very good, a favorite acorn of the eastern whitetail. Also turkey like them also

9. carcrz

mmmm. Turkey - an added bonus. Not many turkey around here anymore either - I'm guessing for the same reason: too many developments close by & too many people :gunsfirin
  10. carcrz

I am thinking a few pear trees, a couple crabapple trees, a few apple trees, & a White Oak @ each end of the line to play double-duty for food & a stand. Probably 15 trees in all, probably planted in a zig-zag pattern. All of this is going to be done on one side of the already established tree farm. Let me know what you guys think.