Trees in a Patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Southern Heritage, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Southern Heritage

Southern Heritage LawnSite Member

I have a client who wants trees inside a pavor patio. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going todo it or if its possible. The patio will be 18X18' with a fire place on one end entrance on the other. The client wants four 8' River Birtches inside the patio in each corner. They want the pavors to go to the trunk and showed me multiple pictures where it had been done. Any thoughts.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Those birch trees are fast growing and high maintance, I try to talk the customer out of that.

WIth in 5 years the trees will have to be cut down and the patio redone. Not to mention leaves will fall into the bbq pit as they cook.

There pretty trees but other than that there uselessa and extremely messy and get deised easy.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

river birches will get huge. poor choice. don't do it.

a crape of small variety may be something to consider.

if the patio is to be 18x18 - that's SMALL. So try to find a variety of Crape Myrtle that maxes out with an 8-10 foot spread

4. Southern Heritage

Southern Heritage LawnSite Member

I've already said over and over that 18x18 is way to small but its exactly what they want.

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

To get the blocks to the trunk youll have to bury the tree fairly deep, be real sweet to the customer and in a year or 2 you will have more work

6. DVS Hardscaper

this is not a good way to do business. you have to know how to educate the client and do things properly.

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldnt use river birtch

If you install a tree you need to take post digger and dig 3ft deep and fill it with sand /fine rock so roots will go down and wont hurt the patio

I did this once learned from a spec book on a job I did back in the 90s

8. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

I know many people don't like the maintenance of a river birtch, but they are one of my favorite trees. The peeling bark is beautiful. Though I wouldn't put four inside a patio of course, but mabey 2 on the corners would work. They make great shade trees as well. They look and do best in the south IMHO. Heritage is a great variety.

9. DVS Hardscaper

a contractor with a knack for design (such as myself) would find a way to do this 18x18 patio and get them at least one birch. And I would be able to explain WHY 4 trees is a bad idea.

10. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Back in '05 or '06 I planted a group of river birch on my back property line, 15' on center. You want me to send you a pic of what they look like now? Because I hate mowing under there, I couldn't imagine trying to have a patio under there. It'd be like being a gnome and hanging out inside a lilac bush.