1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SDF250, Mar 2, 2001.

1. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

how many of you guys also do tree work and for a used chipper what do you recommend and what should i spend
  2. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

Our company frequently uses a chipper to reduce the volume of brush from dormant pruning, or from tree pruning/removal.

However, we RENT a chipper due to the high maintenance of that piece of equipment. In a year's time, we could have easily paid the cost of the chipper off, however, it is not worth the cost because of the maintenance factor. In the past, we have purchased several chippers, and now they sit outside the mechanic's shop unused. There are to many variables with chippers, and alot of time consumed by a qualified person for preventative maintenance.

Therefore, schedule your jobs to minimize your rental time and rent a good chipper, which is already maintained for you.

3. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I have a Vermeer 1250, And love it.
  4. visions landscape

visions landscape LawnSite Member

We also use a VERMEER 1250 its great and Maint is easy if you use correctly.
  5. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

shack and visions

is that disk or drum and what inch and how much are they new or used
  6. it depends on 2 things mainly. 1st how big is your tow vehicle? and what kind of tree work do you do?
    i would suggest a bandit. real good chippers. try to get a 200 or a 250. XP. there are a few differences between the two. a 200 is really light, small infeed table, but good machine for doing residential tree work. 250 is good for residential tree work, but also for moderate amounts of land clearing, it is heavier than the 200 and has a much larger infeed table. you definatley want to get something with autofeed, this will save the engine in the long run. get diesel. they are stronger and hold up better. disc is good, drum is also nice though. definatley get something with a hydraulic yoke lift. this will help you to get big wood in there. morbarks are also nice. plenty of power. if you are gonna get one of those; only one i have used is a model 17. lot clearing chipper. either way though good machines. i have never used a vermeer so i really cant say anything about them. try to stick to those three companies though; bandit, vermeer or morbark. anything else is most likely garbage. i know the guy that won that wood chuck a couple of years ago at the tci conference, he never used it, sold it off, and bought a bandit. so that is just something to think about.