1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kingram10, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Kingram10

Kingram10 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Just starting out in the buisness and I'm wondering: Do you guys charge extra for trimming trees and how much more, if its a small tree I'll charge about the same as a lg bush ,But lg trees not sure or do you guys leave these for the tree trimmers
  2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Trees 25' plus you contract out a arborist to do. It really depends on what needs to be done on the tree and how much work. Since you're just startingout I would sub it all.
  3. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

Nah, I myself wouldnt sub out unless its a dangerous job or you dont have insurance to cover property damage. Theres good money in tree work you just have to think the job through and try to realize how long things can take and take into accountability what type of equipment you might have to rent.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We charge about same as mowing. We do a lot of stuff that can be gotten from the ground. We bought a gas power pole saw(Echo) this year and like it a lot. It can be used to get limbs off houses. At our commericial sites we trim trees so they don't hit cars and people, that is part of the contract.
  5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If it’s a regular maintenance client, and if I can complete the work within the normal time frame allotted for that client, then I don’t charge extra for pruning trees or shrubs. However, if the job is large enough to warrant a special return visit, I will then charge accordingly.
  6. jazak

from NJ

When you guys screw up because you don't know what the h@ll you're doing don't come crying to me!! I've seen you stupid landscapers before. Get on a ladder with a saw and just start cutting. You have no experience, probobly don't even have the right insurance and don't use your thick heads. :hammerhead: I get used to get subbed out by four landscapers all the time before I quit the business, because the know if they can't drop it safely they won't risk damage to property or themsleves. Of course there is good money in tree work but we don't need dumb@sses trying to do it themselves with no knowledge of the business! I'm sick of seeing landscapers that think they can do anything they want without realizing that its way more dangerous then cutting lawns, requires alot more brains, money, and exerience. You can't just say one day, "Oh I can do that", it takes time and thought.

Trimming small branches -3"- is one thing but taking down a tree or trimming out branches over a house, pool, shed, car, ext, is a totally new ballpark.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with jazak, it is the reason why a true tree guy gets at least 150 dollars just for climbing, if a tree guy so much as has to put his spikes on, it's 150 bucks right there thou really 2-300 is more like it. Now before you get excited you need to think about why this is like that, after all it only takes 5-10 minutes... Gee, is there a reason?

Yes, first this requires special gear and special insurance meaning your InsCo HAS to know you plan on doing tree work because the usual liability policies don't cover this. Then, in order to qualify yourself, you first need to cut down a thousand small trees (yes, I said a thousand, and I also said SMALL), then you're about halfazzed there.

I mean, you think you can drop something you better watch it, even dropping a small tree or a big branch on pavement can be bad news, I've seen a knot off a tree put a hole in the road before (and I mean a HOLE).

Now I do minor tree pruning like the branches that get in my face while I'm cutting grass, I have some lopers and also fiskar shears and a hand-powered polesaw (this is a neat tool) which takes care of most of these sticks and twigs.

Now what that don't handle, I usually don't touch thou I do have a Stihl 210 but it's still not a tree saw and it gets used once or twice a year, for those thicker branches and the occasional lonely little 20-foot dead sapling that will NOT fall on the house or car because it's too far away, stuff like that.

I'll put it another way: If it can hurt, I leave it alone. If my feet have to leave the ground, I don't do it.
  8. jazak

from NJ

Thanks for agreeing with me. Some of these guys on here are really to much. :hammerhead:
  9. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

if theres any danger i would definitly sub it out but if its in the middle of the yard with nothing around i dont care if its 100ft tall i notch it flop it and haule it away at over 100/hr i cant pass it up and no matter how much you want to try and scare people this is not rocket science all it takes is alittile common sence
  10. jazak

from NJ

I'm not trying to scare peolpe. I've been in the tree business for 20 years, you guys haven't, I have seen, heard, and known people that have been killed, maimed, ext. This isn't lets go cut lawns, this is very different and much harder. I also agree with you if theres nothin around then drop it but if theres stuff around sub it. Just got annoyed that so many guys on here think they can just go out and do it. But in reality you can't because it will be either your life, a workers, bystanders, ext or you damage property. Thats all I was saying.