Treflan Damage Please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by meangreengirl, Aug 4, 2008.

1. meangreengirl

meangreengirl LawnSite Member

We used Treflan preemergent this spring in shrub beds to prevent weeds. Now having issues with damage in turf along edges of shrub beds. Some Belive product has leached into turf areas and causeing serious problems. Had never used this product in the past, it was recommended by our distributer. Labeling did not warn of possible turf damage. Anyone else used this product? Need advice fast.

2. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've used treflan before and havent had a problem with it burning around mulch beds. Most of the time the burn i've seen occuring around mulch beds is due to the mulch itself, usually to hot a blend, causing the turf surrounding the bed to stress back with heat.

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Also from people applying Round Up to the bed. I've never seen Treflan cause the problem you describe.

4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Did you follow the label recommendations pertaining to the range of product to use per 1000 sq ft of bed space?

Or do you think maybe you went w-aaaa-y too heavy?

6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Go Back to the Label, and check your records to see what rate you/applicator applied the Treflan and when. Treflan has a short half life in the soil, and almost no effect if it was not Mulched Over Immediately OR Watered in Immediately if not mulched over.

I HAVE seen what you describe with Surflan, running out of beds, into cool season turf ( not Tall Fescue) and only use that product for Beds with no surrounding turf.

Re-Read the Treflan Label and Check your records and Turf injured.

You may have missed some key plants.

Pete

7. junior091273

junior091273 LawnSite Member

Sounds like a poor application.