Treflan shelf life

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Danscapes, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I found an old bag of opened Tref. in my barn and was wondering if it would still be good? It's not clumpy or anything and has stayed dry but I didn't know if it loses it's effectiveness over a period of 4 years or not. What do you guys think?

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

DanScapes,
    I would think that after 4 years in the barn even though it wasn't opened would be subject to temperature changes and will loose effectiveness. Hot and Cold does manipulate the structure of the granule and the ingredients.
    Use it around your home instead of throwing it out..I wouldn't take a chance on it.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Usally people only have them in what 25lb bags you must not use to much of it if its been hiding for 4 years

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Treflan is very volatile. A granular in an opened bag does not have anything to prevent it from evaporating. It is probably no good by now.

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

GreenDoctor,
    OMGoodness, I didn't even look that closely at his word opened bag............DUUUH!
    That what happens when I speed read a post too quickly!

Dan,
    Ditch the bag, because it has oxidized to the point that moisture and volitization has rendered the material ineffective. It could have some minute bit of power, but I wouldn't even use it. Dispose of the remains according to your state guidelines....... Be safe!