1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trench or Plow??? Blazing Saddles??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by fire&rain, Nov 3, 2005.

1. fire&rain

fire&rain LawnSite Member

Ok, I am using both with my Dingo. Just wondering who prefers what and why.

My main irrigation employee prefers plowing, and he is rather good at both.

I think we will be plowing the majority of jobs now, except the mains which for the most part we will trench.

Either way, we are using Blazing Saddles on our first job today. I made a tool for the drill to install them. They seem to be much quicker and easier to install. A little more expensive, without factoring in the glue/primer etc. but I think if they work like I have heard from a number of people, then I think they will pay for themselves with the time savings.

Any positive or negative experiences with these would be greatly appreciated. Or any words of advice about using these, again, would be greatly appreciated.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Trenching in my area. Don't know of anyone that plows.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Since I plow SCH 40 (lots of reasions, but thats another thead), blazing saddles are slower to install (because of needing to drill) than a regular threaded tee.

I can cut the pipe, slide it over, slip in the tee and slide it back in around a minute.
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Love blazing saddles. If you figure in both the tee and the swing pipe fitting vs. using a blazing saddle w/ a swing pipe barb, I think you will find the prices real close and the install time about half. The exception would be John's case of using sch 40 and it used to be that way using class pipe. The new ones for rigid pipe do not need pre-drilling on class pipe. I still think for those who insist on using sch 40, that snap saddles would be much faster easier than tees, but I do understand the hangups some have with saddles.
  5. Dirty Water

Snap Saddles? Still need to get a drill in the hole.

I found one that was still holding good after 18 years.

I've never had a problem with one giving out on me, a few other people I know have had them fail on them right away.

I use them as a last resort.
  6. PurpHaze

Could someone post a link to a 'blazing saddle' please. We don't use them but I'd like to see what they look like so I can better understand you guys in the future. Thanks.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

My experience w/ failed saddles are like failed glue joints. If done right, it doesn't happen. As to getting a drill in the hole.........I use an 18" 3/8 bit w/ a sleeve of swing pipe over the bit so you can't "over drill". I can actually set a snap saddle in a smaller hole than a blazzing saddle, but the blazzing saddles are much easier/quicker. Also, I'm doing less rigid systems. I only do rigid when the customer requests it. One other thing about snap saddles........they aren't all created equal :) You can get saddles that are even shorter than a conventional tee. If everything goes well, these do work, but I think the failure rate and the potential for failure are higher with these. You can also get snap saddles that do not require you to drill through the saddle, just the pipe. Again, I like the wider saddles, and don't mind drilling through a thick saddle and pipe for a product that I can "feel good" about.
  9. Dirty Water

Toro used to make 1" snap saddles that were only about 2" in length.
  10. PurpHaze

Thanks Boots.