Trench or plow?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by grassman177, Jul 19, 2012.

1. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

These conditions are not good for plowing, I would probably crack windows and foundations. Trenching is not much better though.It's like lowering the boom on concrete. Glad I quit installing.

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

What do you mean? What depth did you trench at?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Desired pipe depth was always something deep enough to connect heads via cut-off riser to a saddle tee. Modern technology has made that passe, now that there is marlex and funny pipe.

At its best, a plowed job is so unobtrusive, that customers can't see where the pipe was installed, after all the heads are in place.

4. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

grassman, in our area most pull...when i first got into it this was my main question...the answers that i got were if it is a fairly nice established yard, then pull it, if you know you are going to run into a lot of rock then trench it, and if it is new construction before the sod then it's up to you...we are currently trenching a yard for this very reason, West Lawrence is known for rock, i mean ****, the retaining walls in every front yard is made from what came out of their lot...the most popular is the ditch witch 410 i believe it is, i know of 3 other companies that have one...i personally think i am going to go with a dingo that can handle multiple attachments for landscaping and irrigation, it can pull or trench...

pulling is what you are looking for, trust me...very few trench around here anymore

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You might prefer the dedicated machine, if the terrain is tough. The weight is in the right places, and the machine is strong where it has to be.

6. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We pull our pipe.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Depends on the number of pipes. Minimum is 8".

I just know how it goes. If a guy can raise the puller an 1" or 2 and speed up the job he'll do it. Nobody will know otherwise. Ask a puller though and it will be two inches deeper than he actually put it. Does it matter? I guess not if it gets blown out and they don't aerify. If there is a way to save time and boost profit and it doesn't hurt the quality of the end results the customer expects then no real harm done.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

depth and cover are 2 different things, 18" cover for mains and 12" cover for lats. swing pipe makes up the difference.

no problems aerating

9. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I would think not. That's too deep. 10" is fine with me and no pipes in the same trench.

10. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

From my research a track mini skid is supposed to be better at pulling pipe than a 410.