trencher recommendations

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by el toro, Oct 17, 2007.

1. el toro

el toro LawnSite Member

whats up guys. I install about 3-6 irrigation systems per year, but would like to do more and am thinking of buying a used trencher. For a small system I rent a ditchwitch walkbehind trencher, for a big one I rent a big ride on trencher. the ride on is quick and digs deep but is expensive to rent and too big for some applications. the walk behind is cheap but takes forever to go through hard ground and roots. I guess my question is how good are dingos? I've never run one, but it looks like they would be a great cross between the two machines. they also come with a bunch of other attachments which is a plus. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Trenching? Or plowing? Soil permitting, a plow is the neatest, and you pay more for that neatness.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

4. Anything Ditchwitch.....end of story

5. Wet_Boots

Vermeer makes a good heavy plow, not to mention trenchers. Local support is important, if you don't have a lot of experience with this sort of equipment.

6. Mike Leary

It's pretty site specific....the Vermeers & Ditchwitches do a great job, but tear the hell
    out of the site, making backfill & topdress expensive, not to mention hauling off the
    spoils the trencher brought up! If you're doing small residential, the Brown is your baby,
    we rented the big boys when needed. London needs the exercise, so he backfills!:laugh:

7. Wet_Boots

If you can plow, you eliminate the backfilling requirements. I'd think Kentucky would be poly pipe territory, but only the person asking the question can know what he wants.

8. Mike Leary

How can a person asking a question know what they want????:dizzy:

9. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

We use the LM-42 if we absolutely have to trench... if we don't, turn it around and plow away. Best of both worlds. We have 10 of them in operation at any given time, and they seem to be a pretty good machine.

.mz