Trencher speed

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BLC24, Feb 6, 2013.

1. BLC24

BLC24 LawnSite Member

Roughly how long does it take to trench 100' with a trencher (ditch witch and bobcat). I know roots, rocks, and types of soil make a difference but just wondering what a rough average time it would take to trench about 10 inch deep and 100'.

Thanks in advance, I have never rented rented a trencher.

2. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no easy answer. What make and model of machine? What soil type will you be trenching in? I've been on jobs where I can trench 100' with a walk behind in 15 minutes and I've been on other job sites with the same machine where it took hours to trench 100'

3. the irrigator

the irrigator LawnSite Member

I agree with SoCal. I's difficult to put a number on that becasue of varying conditions, equipment etc. To give you a rough estimate I have a Ditch Witch 410 and can trench 100 l.f. 18" deep easily in one hour IF it's an open area with no rocks or roots in good loamy soil. But in my area we have easy to work soil (in most cases). It would be best to get a local opinion.

4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Like others have said it depends on the machine and the conditions. I am not sure what your rental yard has but my case 360 in average conditions would do that trench in ten minutes or less.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Trenching + backfilling = time + more time = -$ Vibratory plow - no backfill - minimal restoration = $$$$