Trencher vs. Edger

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Stan MI, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

I will be installing an Invisible Fence for our two dogs. Most of the info I've seen so far says to use either a garden edger or garden trencher.

Is there a attachment I can get for my edger to make it a trencher or are they one in the same ( just different names for the same thing) ?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, they are not the same thing and both come in various sizes and configurations... The edger is generally a hand held tool but they do make a few wheel (push) types, while the trencher is a bigger tool generally on wheels and possibly the smallest models might be hand held but I think it would be more like a hand held tiller (not like a trimmer hand held). The edger is generally for more shallow trenches, the trencher should dig deeper, the depth of the trench is limited to each machine, specifically.

I guess you could say the largest edgers are where the smallest trenchers take over, if I have it right, I think I do.

Also depends on the blades, some edgers are single blade and can dig a hairline trench but hold it at an angle and it digs wider, however for a slightly wider trench it would be best and easiest to get a multi-blade tool in the first place, see what I'm saying.
    And no, I don't think you can reasonably put a wire down a single-blade hairline trench in the dirt, I'd pick a tool that will dig 4-6 inches deep and at least 1 but 2-3 inches wide, not too much wider either.

I don't think this is no 60-100 foot project, you're likely going to encircle a yard and then you'll have extra footage to deal with where the driveway is, and what have you, probably you're looking at covering several thousand feet. But I do not know, you might wish to either measure or get some idea of how long this thing needs to be, it will make a difference because I can tell you I would not want to dig a 4-thousand foot trench with my single blade hand held edger :laugh:

So you will want to likely check into renting a tool, my recommendation would be to ask some of those guys, also keep in mind how DEEP you need your trench and how LONG (because wear and tear and the fact you want to get this done in under 4 hours could become an issue).

Probably either a large multi-blade wheel unit edger, or a small unit (wheels) trench digger, what I'm thinking you'll need...
    Just my opinion.

3. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

topsites

Thanks for the response. Yes I will be covering a lot of area. I was wanting to use the edger mostly because I just bought this last year and I was hoping to get another use out of it (something more than just edging) . As to the little wider trench. Have you, or anyone else, tried running two blades side by side at the same time. Doesn't sound like the safest thing but maybe someone has a solution.

Thanks again !!

4. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

we run doubles all the time.

5. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I had an Invisible fence installed about 10 years ago by a friend of my father's, who was starting up a business.

He had some kind of slit cutter, with a big Honda engine, about a 20"-24" carbide blade and it was self propelled and designed to insert wire into ground as it traveled, much like they install sprinkler systems. He also had a big gas prowered saw with diamond blade to cut a slit through concrete drives, sidewalks, ect.

We did a little under 2 acres, over 1000 feet of wire in just under an hour with that machine.

You might see if you can rent such a thing.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I installed my dog's invisible fence about 4 months ago with my Bed Edger with the normal angled cut bit. I set it around 4-5 inches deep and cut over 600' around the house. Yes, it made a wider cut than a slit cutter, but that's already almost grown over.