1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman29, Jan 24, 2005.

Which Edger/ Trencher is the Best?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2005.
  1. Sidewinder

1 vote(s)
  2. EZ-Trench

0 vote(s)
  3. Bedscaper

0 vote(s)
  1. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

We been looking for a trencher/ edge. Anyone heard of the Sidewinder from www.turfteq.com Anyone have one and need to know how you like it. Prices also. We are also looking at the Bed-edger and the EZ Trencher. Like the Sidewinder because it goes forward. Any thoughts?
  2. JCA1

JCA1 LawnSite Member

Well I have no experience with the sidewinder but I have used two different models of the EZtrench many many times. The EZtrench is good for dry or sandy soil. It does not work well at all in wet soild especially clay. The model with many skinny teeth works better than the one with less wider teeth and the teeth have to be replaced a lot more than the manufacturer claims. Over all I don't like them a lot because you can't use them everywhere and they are not easy to pull. In fact it takes two people to pull it through really hard compacted soil and it just will not expell wet soil. It just clogs up and puts all the trenched soil back in the ditch and you have to clean it out by hand.
  3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a bedscaper by easy trench I have not found an area or soil it don't like. It has a honda motor grease points nice tires with swivel casters. 2,000.00 worth it to me I do lots of edging. tried a few of them but stuck with this not the top of the line but most versitile.