Trenches left behind by an Irrigation Company

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1simple, Jul 23, 2008.

1. 1simple

1simple LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I had mine installed recently by an irrigation company and some of the trenches are level and some are not. Will the ones that are a valley, will they fill up over time or they will never change and will have to fill it in myself with dirt? Any suggestions on what kind if so? It makes it a bump job when mowing the lawn...

Curtis

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Call them to come fix it. They topsoil and seed up here.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Our contract states,"water-backfill trenches, add topsoil, tamp, seed, mulch, run
    germination cycles."

4. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Yes, do call them. Settling won't even out over time so it'll need more fill.

5. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

On our new-construction jobs we backfill and tamp but don't get real fussy, knowing that a landscaper is coming in right behind us.

On existing landscapes, we try to make it look like we were never there, tamping and rolling, leaving trenches slightly windrowed (raised for you city-folk). We don't seed or sod trenchline, stuff grows so fast here that scars are usually grown over in 2-3 months.

6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

They should have used a vibratory plow with class 200 PVC.:)

7. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

you could ask them to come back but if was not in the contract, then your out of luck. just water pack the trench and what ever left scrape and fill in another area.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Water is not an approved compaction meathod, but damn , it does work real good.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

When your punching through a existing lawn, water backfill means in a
    couple of weeks, you don't notice we've even been there. :)