trenching funny pipe

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by drmiller100, Jun 17, 2005.

1. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,

We are doing a mobile home park with central irrigation water. 35 units, bid teh ENTIRE park. homes are about 10 feet apart.

My thought is to pull a pipe down between each home, then trench the funny pipe over to where the sprays go. We are doing the MP rotators whcih don't use much water.

so, what is an efficient way to dig the funny pipe? I'm figuring 350 sprinklers for hte project, so if I can save 5 minutes a sprinkler, that turns into 20 hours, or 500 bucks. thoughts? would an edger work? how do you guys dig funny pipe?

thanks again!

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Double it over and pull it w/ a 3/4" sock. IF swing pipe is adquate, I pull swing for fill heads a lot. For what you want to do, the bullet is going to leave the pipe really lose in the pull line, so dig head holes and install swing tees.

Check the cost though, Poly pipe has been cheaper than swing pipe of late. How much more is a blazzing saddle w/ swing barb vs a swing tee? You end up w/ one extra fitting at the end of each run to switch from poly to swing too, and the connection to the main lateral is a bigger hole and tougher fit if it is a full size poly tee. BUT if the poly is a nickel a foot cheaper.........

Also, swing pipe can be "sliced" in just like the cable guys do using a square spade.......

3. drmiller100

ok. dumb question. how is swing pipe different then funny pipe???? semantics? my labor is REALLY expensive, so Anything I can do save labor is significant.

thanks!

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

"funny pipe" is patented by those guys w/ the four letter name.........I would bet you are using blue strip which is swing pipe, not funny pipe

5. drmiller100

ah. i'm using irritrol pipe that looks like it is about 1/2 inch, and has really thick walls..... :)

i never considered pulling the irritrol pipe. seems pretty obvious now.

i love the blazing saddles. i guess i could pull poly and hook it up to the blazing saddles, but might be a pita to blow out. and poly would be more of a pita to set the sprinklers, and get hooked to the saddles then funny pipe is.

hmmmmm. pulling funny pipe. hmmmmmm.

thanks!