Trenching/plowing in fenced yard

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Any tricks or tips for plowing or trenching a yard that has fence. I hate fences BTW

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

for working near the black aluminum imitation wrought iron fences, carry some gloss black spray enamel to touch up any oopsies :waving:

3. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

I was thinking mainly about how to work to the edge of the fence. If you start at one end and need to pull to the other end how do you deal with the length of the machine?

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Make two pulls to the center where the tee for the valve feed will be.

5. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

or a head tee

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

If you can afford the extra space I like to start as close to point A as possibe....En route to point B swing wide if you can, ending yourself parallel to point B... I hope that makes sense.. I'm one for talking then typing as everyone here knows.

I stay away from pulling head T's on really dry soils/turf.. They just don't clean up well and I really don't think it saves all that much time...My 2...

Also if you can afford the time take a dry run around the area know where and when you have to turn to make corners.. Sometimes if you really can afford the time mark where your machine is X feet from the fence where you feel comfortable... Mark that spot...good luck man.....if its a split rail fence take that sh!t out and pull through....

CSR

7. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Don't try swinging the corners. You will end up 10'-15' away from head location and that's too far for swing pipe.

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Smaller yards pose more problems sometimes than wide open lawns. On those small fenced lawns we use a line ward , it gets within 2 ft of the end of the pull .

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Sure does. A city lot with a pool and a weird shaped deck can be more work then a wide open country lot.

10. ArTurf

Male, from Ark

Yes give me a larger wide open yard any day. I'll do it for less than a small closed in yard with lots of nooks and crannies. I'm guessing a line ward is a small vib plow?