1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trenching Price For silt fence

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Boddie, May 3, 2007.

1. Boddie

Boddie LawnSite Member

Hi Guys, I have a builder that needs trenching for a silt fence. I was wondering how much to charge him per ft. I think he needs 100ft of trenching. What do yall think?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What are you going to use?

If your using a chain trencher, I've found that by the hour is a better pricing scheme.

Those trenchers can be ridiciously slow in some soils, and very fast in others.
  3. Boddie

Boddie LawnSite Member

Tracked Dingo with chain trencher.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

So that job will take about an hour by the time you load/unload and do the job. We have a 4 hour minimum on our equipment, which is $300 for our skid steer and $340 for the mini. I'd tell him $150-200, I wouldn't go out for less than that.
  5. Boddie

Boddie LawnSite Member

Yeah, I think you're right, can't go out for nothing....

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Silt fence only pays about a dollar a foot here installed.
  7. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

I can get silt fence installed for .65 a foot.... I think calling a silt fence company would be easier. 100 foot would almost not even be worth taking a machine and just hand digging it.
  8. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Is that with the silt fence, staking it up, and trenching it in ??? Or just the trenching.
  9. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

.65 for everything? Silt fence ,stakes and staking it up,plus trenching? Here you have to use steel post to stake it up on some jobs ,surely .65 is just for the trenching right?
  10. Fatboy

Fatboy LawnSite Member

I charge $1/ft for trenching but just found out the other day that my buddy has gone up to $1.25/ft. Most competitors will try to undercut your price but not this weirdo. The cost for 100ft of silt fence w/wooden stakes costs $20 here.