Trenching Shovels

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Irrigation Contractor, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

Some may say WTF to this question (maybe not TX), but last year we went through 100 plus trenching shovel for our install crews.

Hard clay and rock from H E double hockey sticks is on 90% of our projects. We tried the Corona shovels only to break the handles and all of the Ewing/JDL yellow handle end up with cracked welds.

I am not joking and this has become a big issue for us. King of Spades all steel shovels are too small and we even began fabricating our own, but it is not practical during to summer months.

We just ordered a batch of these Model #92720

http://www.bullytools.com/shovels_trench.html

Any input is appreciated?

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Keep us informed. It looks like the state of the art of trenching shovels has progressed far beyond the days of simply cutting down the blade of a standard shovel.

4. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

my guys use picks and drain spades. 3 crews, 10 or so shovels a year. standard wood home depot variety.

5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I personally broke 2 shovels last year and installed 25 systems + all the usually service/ repairs of exisiting systems.

Be sure to keep your crews trained on when the best time to utilize rock bars and picks instead of the shovel.. Work smart yah know.

Just don't do what I did ( Which I don't know how I managed this one)

IMG_1504.JPG

6. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

i guess thats what i was getting at in an alternate way. use the right tool for the job; it applies to digging as well. most of our shovels/tools get broken while being used not how they were intended.

im a stickler for this. i yell at my guys all the time for using the wrong shovel. thats why i outfit the trucks with a bunch of different shovels/picks/bars etc. use them correctly and they will last (not saying i never whacked at a curb footing with a shovel for half an hour just to get a head a few inches closer to the belgian block)

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You want a shovel to last forever, throw it in the back of a government truck. They'll make sure it's not abused or over used.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

This happens all the time. One of my guys carries a hammer and cold chisel for this reason.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I carry Estwing all steal rock picks for this. Rotary hammer is also not far away if needed.

With respect to shovels, I have decided that any shovel/spade I break will be replaced with all steel version if possible.

http://www.wolverinehandtools.com

That said, trenching shovels are for cleaning out trenches, not for use as a pry bar or rock pick.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

What's orange and sleeps 3?