Trenching - Utility Locate ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ZachTX, Aug 25, 2010.

1. ZachTX

ZachTX LawnSite Member

Hi All:

Not a landscaper, but my company does some trenching to install ground loops for lightning protection systems, and thought ya'll might be the right people to ask this question:

On a commercial jobsite, do you use the "One Call" system to locate utilities?

Usually we have to be on a job with one or two days notice, sometimes less. This doesn't leave much room for one call, so we coordinate with the GC to locate and mark utilities. We do ocassionally hit lines when the GC locates incorrectly or forgets about a line. All trenching is 18 to 24 inches deep. What's the best way to handle this problem?

Thanks,

Zach

2. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't trench at all without a locate. Risk is too great for injury or death from gas or electrical lines and if you hit a fiberoptic cable without a locate.. You would be out of buisness.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a joke? :)

You have a trenching co and you're asking this? :hammerhead:

4. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 LawnSite Senior Member

what i had thought

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Most states if not all have a digsafe law so I don't know what you mean by this have to be on the job with 1 or 2 days notice BS. No dig safe ticket number= no insurence= no dig.... period.