Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by GSPHUNTER, May 11, 2007.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but I'll try it.

I currently do mowing and some small landscape, but I'm looking into expansion markets.

My idea is to start trenching and laying drain tile for drainage problem areas. This is a common problem that I see while mowing, but I don't see much advertisement for solving the problem.

My question is in regards to insurance on something like this. For GL insurance on a mowing only service the premium is fairly low. What are the premiums like when delving into something like this?

Thanks for any feedback.
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

how many guys you have working for ya?

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I'm solo for now, but if I get into this it would probably require picking up one part time employee.
  4. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Your rates will go through the roof once you start using any excavating device! Insurance companies hate them!

Too many hit gas pipes etc.

Make sure you always call Dig Safe before you dig. Clients will tell you there is no buried lines etc but cover yourself and have the property marked out.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Also, consider what will happen if you do strike unmarked (or mismarked) lines - being able to repair a broken wire can come in handy.

At some point you might want to spend a few hundred on a cable locating device.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of utilities locating... I spent 3-1/2 hours on Thursday morning locating irrigation lines and wiring on two adjoining sites for an AT&T contractor that was supposed to start trenching yesterday afternoon and over the weekend. We're supposed to have 72 hours prior notice but in this case got only about 36. I noted that at both sites the proposed route was directly over a PVC main line at one site and a transite main line at the other and advised my boss via email.

I'm working yesterday at a site (Elbow Grease thread) when I get a call around 11:15 am that they've changed the routing on the sites and I needed to go out and remark based on the new route. I couldn't leave right away due to opened holes, etc. and then went back to the shop for my lunch break ( contract states work is not to be performed during lunch break unless extreme emergency). By the time I got to the first site it was 12:50 pm and we get off work at 2:00 pm now.

I arrive and there are Maintenance Dept. trucks all over the place with plumbers, electricians, low-voltage guys scurrying around all over the site trying to locate their stuff along the new route. Needless to say there was a LOT of angry employees in that department and they were verbally taking it out on the lead person that is responsible for the project for the last minute changes after they too had spent a lot of time the day before locating.

I went about my locating using the 521 for the main/wire, remote to fire and mark sprinklers and then witching to locate laterals. I finally finished the first site around 1:45 pm and was preparing to leave when I found out that the route had also changed on the other site. "Sorry dudes. I'm off work in 15 minutes and I have plans this afternoon so you're on your own." Maintenence lead started to say, "But it's an emergency and nobody else in the district can locate the irrigation" when he was interupted by my boss who basically told him that he had no authority over grounds personnel and that the "emergency" was created by their department's lack of preparedness.

I met my boss back at the shop and found my asbuilt from 1992 (since reproduced onto CAD) on the area they would now be routing through. The boss thanked me and I said I wasn't sure as to how accurate it was to scale and he said, "I guarantee it's more accurate than anything we've gotten from contractors in the past. I trust your work 100%." He took some paint cans with him and left to go mark the irrigation as I left the shop feeling pretty good.