Lawn Care Forum banner

Tri-City Lawn Care's Thread...

117K views 315 replies 57 participants last post by  TriCityLawnCareLLC 
#1 ·
I've just ended my third year in business. I started my company when i was 22 shortly after returning from a 2 year mission in California. After two years of making my own schedule and being my own boss, i knew it would be difficult to come back to Ohio and work for someone else. I saw a lot of Latinos doing outdoor maintenance, so in our daily travels i would take time to talk to them and gather information. I decided, shortly before returning to Ohio, that I was going to just mow lawn when i got home and then take it from there. Needless to say, I've fell in love with this industry. I love business, and this has been a great fairly fail safe way of getting my feet wet in the business world. I have a vision for my lawn care company and am working diligently to accomplish it. Since 2009 I've met my beautiful wife, bought a house and am expecting our first (boy, heir to my throne :) this January. That's me in a nutshell.

I got into fertilizing this year, and i really enjoy it. It's been a great addition to my company. I'm gearing my company towards maintenance only, with the exception of Mulch. I will also be getting into the snow removal arena this year as well. I bought two snow blowers, as I will start with what i can handle and go from there. Mainly:

Mowing
Fertilizing/Weed Control
Mulch
Aerating/Overseeding
Snow Removal

All of equipment is basically paid for, I got the truck new in 05' and when i returned form California i had zero equipment. I used my dads red Huskee riding mower and loaded into the back of my pickup with ramps. I shortly thereafter financed the Kubota. I've since made the decision to pay cash for my equipment, and it's made a big difference. The two lesco's, walk behind and leaf loader, i got for a GREAT price on Craigs List.

http://www.tricitylawnsllc.com

:usflag:

Plant Property Window Building House

Plant Sky Building Cloud House

Plant Sky Tree Land lot Grass

Plant Window Sky House Tree

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Hand Plant Grass Wood Finger

See less See more
#102 ·
It handles it fine? does it have air bags or extra leaf sprigs on it, or is it stock?
It handled it just fine. Yeah it was pretty heavy and no, it's all stock. I love my Chevy/Gmc trucks. I've pushed this ole girl to some serious extremes. Now that i have my 2500hd I probably won't be putting much weight in the Half-ton. She's earned her keep-more than once.

nice work man do you still use your kubota alot since you got the exmark?
I still use it weekly (during the season). I try to use the Exmark as much as possible, i like it a little better and it's more efficient to use. But yes, I so still use the ZG222, especially if my buddy is helping me.

#103 ·
I'm in the finishing stages of making a tool-box for the tongue of my trailer. I used the tool-box/cage that came with the 14ft trailer i bought this summer and I've cut it up and re-welded it. I'm happy with it. I'll post pics once it's done.

Next project is to disassembles the 3 10cuft wheel barrows i bought and put new handles and hardware on them.

#105 ·
Progress on the tool box. Still need to finish putting the gas shock absorber on, grind it down and paint.

The faded trimmer i picked up yesterday for $50. New primer bulb, pull string, fuel lines and filter. Disassembled the carb and cleaned it. Adjusted the idle a bit and it run GREAT! Total of $72 spent on a great backup trimmer. I'm happy.:usflag:

Tool Line Machine Gas Wood

#108 ·
#109 ·
How many people do you have working in your crew?
Myself plus one employee usually-My dad, who's retired helps out a few days per week. Looking to Hire another guy for part time work on the weekends for 2013

#110 ·
Myself plus one employee usually-My dad, who's retired helps out a few days per week. Looking to Hire another guy for part time work on the weekends for 2013
How much business do you have? Commercial/Residential?

#111 ·
How much business do you have? Commercial/Residential?
Enough to keep up on the move:

Roughly 45 Residential Mowing Clients
Roughly 45 Fert & Squirt Clients
Roughly 16 Commerical Mowing accounts 12 of which are full service
Then all the other random mulch and gravel projects and whatever other random projects come in:usflag:

#112 ·
Enough to keep up on the move:

Roughly 45 Residential Mowing Clients
Roughly 45 Fert & Squirt Clients
Roughly 16 Commerical Mowing accounts 12 of which are full service
Then all the other random mulch and gravel projects and whatever other random projects come in:usflag:
Yea you have a good bit of a work load. Sounds like a 3rd person to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

#114 ·
Yes I need a dump trailer. I use a load handler in the back of the trucks and if the trailer is full of debris I've built a large pallet out of 4x4s and just hook the tractor up and pull the pallet out along with te debris. I've been shopping for a dump trailer. Also a dump insert. Eh, we'll see what i decide here in the next couple weeks. Thanks for asking though.
Posted via Mobile Device

#117 ·
We use an Isuzu NPR Dump in the spring for clippings...holds a ton...plus for any kind of large pruning job its awesome....as for the rest of the season...a Dodge 2500 with a Truckcraft aluminum dump insert....for our weekly mow routes this works great once the spring green up slows down...its lightweight...doesnt rust....and so much easier to unload...with the sideboards on it will haul 3 yards of mulch....altho there again for large mulch jobs we use the Isuzu...dump trailers are nice...but if you have small areas to get back into a truck is a lot simpler.

#118 ·
We use an Isuzu NPR Dump in the spring for clippings...holds a ton...plus for any kind of large pruning job its awesome....as for the rest of the season...a Dodge 2500 with a Truckcraft aluminum dump insert....for our weekly mow routes this works great once the spring green up slows down...its lightweight...doesnt rust....and so much easier to unload...with the sideboards on it will haul 3 yards of mulch....altho there again for large mulch jobs we use the Isuzu...dump trailers are nice...but if you have small areas to get back into a truck is a lot simpler.
thanks for the info:usflag:

#125 ·
Thanks guys. It will be better once we sign the papers. Owner wants me to buy it but we agreed to lease for a year and if all goes well then I'll buy it. I'll put up full coverage photos this weekend but it's got 11ksqft of parking area, a third attached garage, and exhaust system (should i be painting or grinding etc). The lift does work and all the tires were from the previous renter, who left a nice mess BUT i got by with a smaller deposit by cleaning up the mess rather than the owner having to do it. There is plenty of room for bulk mulch delivery and plenty of office space. Rent is $600/mo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.