Lawn Care Forum banner

Tri-City Lawn Care's Thread...

117K views 315 replies 57 participants last post by  TriCityLawnCareLLC 
#1 ·
I've just ended my third year in business. I started my company when i was 22 shortly after returning from a 2 year mission in California. After two years of making my own schedule and being my own boss, i knew it would be difficult to come back to Ohio and work for someone else. I saw a lot of Latinos doing outdoor maintenance, so in our daily travels i would take time to talk to them and gather information. I decided, shortly before returning to Ohio, that I was going to just mow lawn when i got home and then take it from there. Needless to say, I've fell in love with this industry. I love business, and this has been a great fairly fail safe way of getting my feet wet in the business world. I have a vision for my lawn care company and am working diligently to accomplish it. Since 2009 I've met my beautiful wife, bought a house and am expecting our first (boy, heir to my throne :) this January. That's me in a nutshell.

I got into fertilizing this year, and i really enjoy it. It's been a great addition to my company. I'm gearing my company towards maintenance only, with the exception of Mulch. I will also be getting into the snow removal arena this year as well. I bought two snow blowers, as I will start with what i can handle and go from there. Mainly:

Mowing
Fertilizing/Weed Control
Mulch
Aerating/Overseeding
Snow Removal

All of equipment is basically paid for, I got the truck new in 05' and when i returned form California i had zero equipment. I used my dads red Huskee riding mower and loaded into the back of my pickup with ramps. I shortly thereafter financed the Kubota. I've since made the decision to pay cash for my equipment, and it's made a big difference. The two lesco's, walk behind and leaf loader, i got for a GREAT price on Craigs List.

http://www.tricitylawnsllc.com

:usflag:

Plant Property Window Building House

Plant Sky Building Cloud House

Plant Sky Tree Land lot Grass

Plant Window Sky House Tree

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Hand Plant Grass Wood Finger

See less See more
#177 ·
hey really nice equipment. you have a good company going. just wondering how you like the vantage with the ECS instead of the regular ztr type controls they put on the s-series vantage? just seems like the s-series controls would be easier because theres no forward speed lever. just looking for some input! thanks man

#181 ·

1991 turf tracer

Our fall postcards. We were happy with turnout, they are going to reprint all 7,500 at no cost

7,500 postcards

Heavy load in the half ton

I'd like a permagreen carrying rack but I can't get past how much weight that puts on rear end of my truck

Posted via Mobile Device

#182 ·
so what mowers do you have, i saw a older gen lazer, two next gen lazers, a kubota ztr and the vantage, just curious, everythings looking good man!

#184 ·
We've sold everything but 2 new lazer x series. Ones a 2012 other is 2013
I like the exmark riders the most, hustler/bobcats/scags are a close second, ive had good luck with ferris walk behinds, those old generation lazers might not drive like the new ones but they are built like tanks, did you buy the older one you had used? I know you have your new one but the old ones make great backup machines.

#186 ·
The older lazer was a loaner while the 34hp lazer was
In the shop. I have a 34 and 29. Yes i sold the
Vantage too. I loved it but our properties are getting larger and a rider is more productive.

I traded the kubota zg222 and the kubota b7300 for the vantage. Used the vantage almost all season long. Bought the 2013 lazer and put the vantage up for sale. If it hadn't sold by seasons end I was just going to keep for next year. I used the $$ from the vantage to pay off some
Debt and pad the savings account for winter
Posted via Mobile Device

#187 ·
The older lazer was a loaner while the 34hp lazer was
In the shop. I have a 34 and 29. Yes i sold the
Vantage too. I loved it but our properties are getting larger and a rider is more productive.

I traded the kubota zg222 and the kubota b7300 for the vantage. Used the vantage almost all season long. Bought the 2013 lazer and put the vantage up for sale. If it hadn't sold by seasons end I was just going to keep for next year. I used the $$ from the vantage to pay off some
Debt and pad the savings account for winter
Posted via Mobile Device
sounds like it worked out for ya, big difference between the 29 and 34?

#189 ·
New truck:

The good:

2000 chevy k3500
5.7L v8
4x4
Flatbed dump
Saddle toolboxes
99,500 miles
Paid $4,650

Needs:
Sending unit on rear fuel tank
New oil pan
Pitman arm
Exhaust pipe that plugs into manifold
Tie rod ends
Front end alignment

#193 ·
Nice truck!!

On a side note, do you ever go to the beginning of your thread an see now far you have come?

#197 ·
Thanks fellas.

It should be red by next spring to match the fleet.

Plans are for mulch hauling, debris hauling for landscape tear outs. Will put a leaf box on next fall. Anxious to use it for lawn apps. Will be able to put tank on plus couple pallets of fertilizer. May put a plow on if nesecary. Will use to haul firewood for my parents.

Have to put about $1,500 in parts

All new front end plus alignment
Either oil pan or rear main seal(hoping it's just the pan)
New fuel lines and pump in rear tank

I have a great friend who is ASE mechanic who does all the labor on my trucks for free in exact he for storing tools at the shop. He looked the truck over tonight and we figure about $1,500 in parts

I hope it makes us good money and last for a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.