Trick of smoothing out mulch..

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Matt Hermann, Jun 16, 2010.

1. KyLawnscapes

KyLawnscapes LawnSite Member

We use the plastic pitchfork that are usaully used to clean horse stalls. The you can scoop like a pitchfork and spread like a rake. They work better than anything Ive found and no black or brown hands at the end of the day.
  2. hiringus

hiringus LawnSite Member

I second the pitchfork is all you need. I have a 3/4 length with a big D handle and its perfect.

If its not perfectly smooth do a quick backpack blow to smooth out ridges
  3. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

depends on what type of mulch, here if i tried to use a pitch fork it would all fall through the fork! and get laughed at if anybody saw me. :) metal spring rake, then use the back of it to smooth.
  4. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

you would think, but its not . just drag the barrel along with you

unless its a very large open bed
  5. head_start

head_start LawnSite Member

it depends i hand toss on the tight beds and around flowers, but when putting down large amounts of mulch in even relatively open areas, its back to the broken rake.
  6. RakenShovel

RakenShovel LawnSite Member

back side of a leaf rake works great because its lightweight to begin with and also the weight is distributed widely so you're not doing any digging.
  7. jnt412

jnt412 LawnSite Member

We use pitch forks to spread/toss and to level out the lumps. For softer mulch, we just use a big shovel and level it with pitch forks.
  8. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

what type of mulch???
  9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Only method I use....surprised to hear it on here.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I use the backside of a rake (the front side too sometimes) and then hit it with my backpack blower with one tube off....smooths out any small bumps, but you have to do it carefully.