Trick of smoothing out mulch..

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Matt Hermann, Jun 16, 2010.

1. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

much nicer results, not raking up the underneath crap, and no need to spend time trying to level it out

i started to think people were gonna think i was some kind of jerk for mentioning this method:laugh:

2. mr.q

mr.q LawnSite Member

Buy a mulching fork, its bigger than a pitchfork and the tines are closer together. When you throw it you twist the fork a little and it spreads evenly. It takes practice to get it down good but it will eliminate the need to rake.

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Whether we apply by the handful in a tight perennial bed, or dump and rake a 10 cu/ft wheelbarrow load into a large empty bed, we still smooth it with the upside-down leaf rake. I used to smooth it by hand. But it looks better and smoother when we use the upside-down rake.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I third the pitchfork.

5. dtriv89

dtriv89 LawnSite Member

I thought I was the only one who did it that way, backside of a rake and blower on low throttle.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I need to break out the blower anyway because I don't worry about being neat when i spread mulch. It's on the plants, the walk and maybe even the house. I usually just fling it. But the only way I know of getting it super smooth....all the little bumps just blow off.

7. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Iron rake held vertically as you rake is the only way to get it looking like glass

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

One thing is that different mulches spread differently too. I use bark mulches a lot and because of the long strands it's a bit harder to get it smooth than something like hardwood or pine chips.

9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Otherwise known as a Manure Fork.;)

10. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. A metal bow rake works perfect.